Coolant hose diagrams

BX Tech talk
Willy
BXpert

Coolant hose diagrams

Post by Willy »

Does anybody have that diagram but for a carburettor-type 1.6 petrol? Or know where I can find one?

Thanks
ImageImageImageImageImage
toddao
BXpat

Re: Coolant hose diagrams

Post by toddao »

I looked on the 'parts list' in the tech sticky section but it only has the fuel injected models. Which pipe do you need and I'll have a look on Service Citroen? Unfortunately I don't know how to pull diagrams off the site.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

Well my bottom rad hose had started to leak so I ordered a new one from Adrian, arrived and oh no it's not the same as the one I need. Checked and it's the correct part number, model year etc - but the new one is just a basic hose - the one I currently have on has a T-junction near the rad end with a thin ~12mm pipe that goes up to the inlet manifold/carburettor (otherwise it's correct - the one I have now is like this http://upthear.se/hose ). I'm pretty sure this isn't for the autochoke as I think the hoses for that go elsewhere. I just wondred if this elusive extra pipe is a necessity or some manufacturing obscurity. Sadly I can't investigate further right now as I'm poorly and the car has had to be left 150 miles away :-|
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I just looked on Service Citroen and the pipe you require (96 164 120 NFP) does indeed have the junction for the pipe to the carb (95 635 238 also NFP).. maybe to heat the fuel so it vapourises better? But seeing as neither are available..

My local scrappy has a huge bin of used cooling pipes and whenever I can't buy a hose I rummage through there and always find something that fits more or less. I don't know if that's common in Uk scrappers though?
Todd

Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

Well this is the part number that I've just bought, and it says on that site for cars 87-92, which mine is. The hose with the junction says for pre-86 cars :s Thanks for your help anyway, no doubt I'll come crying back in a few days once I've had a rummage round under the bonnet to try and find out what the purpose of this extra hose is...
NeilGP
BXpert

Post by NeilGP »

This pipe is for due to a re-plumbing.

The inlet water jacket water return (from front of inlet manifold) in your BX will go back to a metal pipe at the back cambelt side of the engine. (This is also a junction of the internal heater return.)

Part of the mod re-routes the inlet water jacket return to the new radiator pipe, hence the new rad junction. The internal heater return now feeds directly to the block and does away with the metal pipe at the back of the engine.
There are other piping changes for the choke feed return routes.

I don't know the official reason for this change, but I found when I tried to get a replacement metal water pipe for the rear of the engine (that take the inlet and heater return) this was no longer available(approx 15 years ago). I had to re-route the pipes and found that the original block right hand metal union had worn internally due to water abrasion (think that's the right word) and was almost worn through. (after approx 170k miles)

I have copy of the change note and post it when I find the camera!
Neil
A476 RBX
Series 1 BX 16TRS
+ 2015 C4 Flair (boring compared to BX!)
NeilGP
BXpert

Post by NeilGP »

Bulletin-34
Neil
A476 RBX
Series 1 BX 16TRS
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Is this the correct one?? No harm in having both!
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

Yep, despite that one being specced for pre '86 models and the one I bought for anything newer, the exact opposite of what Neil's bulletin shows!
NeilGP
BXpert

Post by NeilGP »

If you check the from date they are stating from July 1985, not 1986

I have checked Sedre and it is showing the modified plumbing as per Bulletin #34.
Sedre states pipe 6 is part # 95 610 898 until RP 5137 (Dec 1990) for 1580cc Carb

This is not showing before Bulletin #34
Neil
A476 RBX
Series 1 BX 16TRS
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

That large hose - 95610898 - that you mention is "until Dec 1990". My first reg date is Dec 1991, not sure about build, do you know if those final 16s were any different, or is it most likely that any post 1990 registered carburettor 16s were just old stock?

(Thanks for the picture though - what I've been interested in seeing all along! :))
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

NeilGP wrote:Bulletin-34
Right, now need part 6 on that diagram in case anybody has one floating around? It's graduated and my clever solution of just putting on a boggo 13mm hose hasn't worked at it leaks slightly at the manifold end. Failing that I suppose eBay may have some...
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

You say it leaks slightly? Hope I'm not stating the obvious but is there a jubilee clip on there or some sort of clip?
Maybe ebay will yield something but there's nothing wrong with using what's available for a 'good bodge' - I found a 'graduated hose' as you put it as part of a VW hose from the scrappy bin, once I'd cut it down it was a good fit for an obsolete hose on my BX
Todd

Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

funnily enough mine started to leak at the same point on Thursday.
quite a little pool thursday morning.
I pushed the "spur" pipe to the manifold on a bit harder at the joint with the bottom hose and it seems to have sealed again.
I intend to replace the stupid citroen clip with a proper jubilee clip when I get a moment.
the ebay picture of the pipe for a pre 86 car looks like the hose I have on my car ( 1.6 meteor with autochoke )
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

toddao wrote:You say it leaks slightly? Hope I'm not stating the obvious but is there a jubilee clip on there or some sort of clip?
Maybe ebay will yield something but there's nothing wrong with using what's available for a 'good bodge' - I found a 'graduated hose' as you put it as part of a VW hose from the scrappy bin, once I'd cut it down it was a good fit for an obsolete hose on my BX
The inside diameter on the big end is 13mm and the small about 6 - I used a 13mm hose - so I guess despite my furious tightening of the jubilee at the small end it hasn't quite got a tight enough fit. Reckon the scrapheap challenge/bodge solution will be best :)