death by BX

BX Tech talk
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

death by BX

Post by tim »

Just read cacaolat's post. Having learnt 'stuff' from the forum and experience, I never, ever go underneath without axle stands. Yesterday I had a go at the White Ones handbrake cables with the wife on the end of the pullthrough while I guided it through the various obstructions. I heard a clunk from above followed by a 'whoops, I just knocked off the lever while I was trying to get the cable to fit the arm....' Me, quietly but firmly - 'put it back please, NOW'. Out of interest. how many seconds would one have left to regret bottles of undrunk Broadside in the house etc...... not too many I hope...... oi lurv me axle stands......
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Re: death by BX

Post by Vanny »

If you want to live, it will come down in micro seconds, if you dont want to live, it probably wont come down at all. These cars are French, and they like to do the unexpected at the most inopportune moments. This is the reason i use stands, not because it will drop fast, but because it will drop when i least expect it.

Seriously though, every car sinks at a different rate, but it is normally between very quick and ***** me that was quick.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I recall about three years ago a mechanic supposedly experienced at working on Citroens had one fall on him as he was only using a trolley jack. It didn't kill him but I think it quite f**ked him up. I heard about this on the BXagon so I'm sure we'll get some further gory details that will serve to remind us to always be careful under there.. or sort out a proper hydraulic lift! ( In the ideal world)
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Discoil
BXpert

Post by Discoil »

Next time you are trying to cheat #-o you could always put some blocks of wood under the chassis or similar to extend the time to get out from under.

Failing that !!!

Don't cheat ~titanic~
Land Rover Discovery TD5
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Or a gas cylinder?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad