Got to break my TRD quickly..

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Got to break my TRD quickly..

Post by toddao »

To make space for the Black Beauty I've got to dispose of the '85 TRD that I dragged in from France last year by next Wednesday ( ten days away). A lot of it is removed, but still with engine. Some questions:

- how to remove the windscreen without breaking it ( I need this for my break as it's an early clear one)
- can I lift engine out complete with gearbox or is better to split?
- best way to cut up the body into handy sections?

Any breaking tips appreciated.. cheers.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Re: Got to break my TRD quickly..

Post by Vanny »

big angle grinder.

thats the answer to all three.

Windscreen, you pushed for time, the car is scrap, cut it out (being careful not to get grind on the glass, it will melt in).

Engine, literally cut it out. Take the rad and fans out, cut the metal out between the head lights and roll the engine out once you have the engine mounts off. Did this with a valver once, rested the engine on bricks and pulled the body away from the engine.

Cutting up, big angle grinder. If i was really in a rush and money no object, i'd go and hire a Stihl saw with metal cutting blade. They are a favourite of a lot of scrap yards over here

Unto the upper engine mount, gearbox mount and lower
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Anything saveable?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Cheers Vanny - that's the stuff, no nonsense! I'd better get a big pack of metal discs for the grinder then.. :D I wish I could just leave it outside to rust in peace and pick at it now and then but cars in fields/paddocks not appreciated around here.. it can't move anymore anyway. I remember I drove it - just - into the barn then it collapsed, pissing out LHM, giving me just enough time to put some concrete blocks under it!

Tim, I've removed anything useful - it's provided so many little things for the yellow break and the 16v which now has its rear calipers for example.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

It's not many hours to take it away intact, once you've removed the rad, alternator, accumulator unit, hoses, wiring and the hydraulic pipes. I'd try to take those intact as well, and it's still less than a haf day's work:

http://www.rmattila.com/images/remontit ... 9.JPG.html
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.