Rear door shut rust (split from Merlyn's blog)

BX Tech talk
merlyn
BXpert

Re: Vampire Diaries

Post by merlyn »

This is all really informative, especially your pictures, thanks very much Paul. I have obtained a mumbled commitment from my son, James that he will give me a hand when the dreaded A levels are done in a couple of weeks. I wish we could come to Wetherby and be part of the Rust Masterclass but it's looking very unlikely.

I decided not to start anything on the car until it's been checked over tomorrow and the cam belt done, but if James can help I'll wait until he's free, shouldn't be too long. In the mean time I have stripped back my house back door frame to bare wood, sanded it and will be applying filler tomorrow ready for painting. It wasn't rusty but the paint was nasty and the door had peeled, I did the door a fortnight ago. Should be looking lovely by the time I go back to work next week.

I'm happy for further discussions on rust to carry on but if anyone else not looking on this thread wants to read them it might be better to have a separate thread or they'll miss out on your words of wisdom!

Jane
1992 BX 1.6 TXi automatic Bleu Sirene
(now sadly gone)

1999 Xantia 1.8 SX automatic Gris Quartz
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

mat_fenwick wrote:
Sorry Jane - would you like this splitting off to a new topic?
..that_

Yep, sorry, I think we hijacked your blog a little there :oops: Glad it was useful though.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Re: Rear door shut rust (split from Merlyn's blog)

Post by Caffiend »

It is all very useful, not my blog/call, but glad to see the split as it'll make this easier to find/use as a reference. Thanks guys.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

mat_fenwick wrote:The only reason I can see for it to start rusting, is if you have had a replacement screen fitted in the past and they've damaged the paint during removal. Otherwise the paint film under the seal should remain intact and not be a problem.
When I had mine replaced last year, I was a bit worried the insurance provided man would stick a big chisel through the paint or something, but I think he did ok (almost like he'd fitted windscreens a few times before :)), and there was a whole section of his form dedicated to any corrosion present before fitting, so hopefully...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Dunno how common it is for the paint to be damaged, just that all the vehicles I've seen with corrosion around the screen have been fitted with non original windscreens. I guess that for most vehicles it's not an issue as by the time any corrosion comes through, they'll be in banger territory anyway. When the guys took my screen out they scraped the paint in a few places, but they knew I was going to be welding so didn't need to take care on removal.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

The paint at the top of the a pillars cracks as a result of low torsional strength in the shell. In high speed corners the a pillar goes a bit rhombus, and i like the idea that this is accelerated by a replacement window as much of the a pillar rigidity will come from the bonded glass. Take the glass out and i bet it never bonds quite well enough.

The reason for this theory, the 4x4. I've seen quite a few over the years and they are nearly all very badly rotten on the top of the A-pillar and i reckon this is because the 4wd can induce a lot more torsion in the shell.