Help in identifying Camshafts..

BX Tech talk
andycadabra
BXpert

Help in identifying Camshafts..

Post by andycadabra »

I'm urgently trying to get hold a non-turbo BX 1.9D camshaft ideally, or a BX 17 TZD one, to use a Peugeot 1.9 TD in a BX. Malcolm (Citronut) has some but we're having trouble identifying them, so if anyone can give any information to identify them, that would be great.
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Re: Help in identifying Camshafts..

Post by Vanny »

I guess this is because you have no hole onto which to bolt the HP pulley?

Does the engine have a cover plate on the end of the shaft? I've seen a good few with this cover, and when you take it off you'll find the normal bolt hole in the end of the shaft any way.

You might be better looking for a ZX or Xantia 1.9td shaft. You won't gain much from a 1.9d shaft unless you like to drive like a loon.

What are the DIS numbers? There should be some numbers stamped onto the shaft at one end, they tell you the stroke and timing of that shaft, you can google what they mean.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Good point Vanny - I hadn't realised some came already drilled for a pulley. Stewart (oily) drilled and tapped the original cam in situ IIRC so that may be another option for Andy.

I can't say what performance gains a 1.9D cam gives - mine certainly went better in the BX than the Xantia donor but the BX is a lighter car!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

andycadabra wrote:I'm urgently trying to get hold a non-turbo BX 1.9D camshaft ideally, or a BX 17 TZD one, to use a Peugeot 1.9 TD in a BX. Malcolm (Citronut) has some but we're having trouble identifying them, so if anyone can give any information to identify them, that would be great.
I have a good 1.9D N/A cam-shaft available, (See your wanted ad. too) PM sent !

andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Vanny - The engine won't be delivered until tomorrow but encouraging to know that it might be as simple as removing a plate and presumably disconnecting the pulley from my old engine and connecting it onto the new one. That would be great! And if I've understood correctly, Mat, If there's no bolthole I could either have one drilled and tapped, or, as Vanny says fit a camshaft from a Xantia or ZX which will definitely have a bolthole?. Thanks guys, and let's hope for a bolthole!
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Xantia and ZX holy cam fitment varies. Some ZX's drive i think the brake servo from the cam, Xantia's DO NOT drive the hp pump from the cam (except for some very early release L-reg cars), but some (like the one in the original BX Project) have an alloy cap over the end of the cam with a holy cam underneath.

I know thats a bit vague, sorry, but there is a huge mix of those that do and those that dont. Generally your more likely to get a holy cam with a Citroen fitted engine, but ultimately the engines all came from the same factory. Including those fitted to the Rover!
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Thanks for making that 'clear' Vanny! Please don't tell me now only some of the BX camshaft pulleys disconnect, or the odds on a easy fix deteriorate [-o< . RxBX has kindly offered a camshaft above, but hopefully I wont need it..
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

even if your new 306 lump does have removable end cap over the cam, and your pulley will fit straight onto the cam, you will also require a cam seal, as the engines with a cap dont have the seal fitted,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Thanks for that thought, Malcolm - I don't suppose the one from my old head could be transferred?. It's only 10k from new..

Just thinking, if a hole was to be drilled, it would need to be dead straight with the line of the camshaft to avoid a wonky pulley. How could this be ensured?
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

andycadabra wrote:Thanks for that thought, Malcolm - I don't suppose the one from my old head could be transferred?. It's only 10k from new..
i would just buy a new seal, but if you took the cam out you could save the old seal without any damage
andycadabra wrote: Just thinking, if a hole was to be drilled, it would need to be dead straight with the line of the camshaft to avoid a wonky pulley. How could this be ensured?
you would have to use a machine shop,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Citronut - So take the camshaft out, take for drilling and tapping and refit, no need for re-shimming at least...
Any luck with camshaft DIS numbers?
It should have occurred to me to google this.. http://www.ehow.com/how_7555428_identif ... umber.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Bit of relevant information here and here...

If you take the cam off yourself look for any paint marks the engine supplier may have put on to identify whether it's been apart in the event of a warranty claim (very unlikely). Also, be sure to put the cam bearing caps back on in the same positions as they came off.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Another bit of irrelevently relevent info: "DIS" refers to the DIStributor end of the shaft...
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

JayW wrote:Another bit of irrelevently relevent info: "DIS" refers to the DIStributor end of the shaft...
Distributor, on a diesel? :^o

Its also where the cam profile number can be found

I did write a rather rambling post about cam profiles and what the numbers mean, but i cant find it, search is broken.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Vanny wrote:
JayW wrote:Another bit of irrelevently relevent info: "DIS" refers to the DIStributor end of the shaft...
Distributor, on a diesel? :^o
All the blanks are made the same so include the "DIS" tag.

On the petrols you'll find "DIS" at the distributor end and on every diesel i've taken apart it's been the other way round.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help identify cams on a BX as both ends are tapped & woodruffed, so original orientation can't be judged by it. (unless the pulley are still attached)
I have zero patience for your tedium.