Help in identifying Camshafts..

BX Tech talk
citronut
Over 2k

Re: Help in identifying Camshafts..

Post by citronut »

dont forget if useing you original cam in the replacement head, you will need to check/adjust valve clearance's (re/shim ),

which is a lengthy job

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Thanks citronut - I guess any change in camshaft will involve reshimming, which was why I was hoping for a way of fixing the pulley. I've just been along to the garage and have already stripped both engines down to the camshaft, and seem to have figured out that the camshaft will need changing, as will the fuel system, since the 306 fuel system has a chip (does anyone know if I can use the 306 injectors?, as mine will be a bit worn).
The 306 camshaft seems to have a hole in the end, maybe 6 mm diameter, and when I suggested the pulley could be fixed to it, they said it couldn't because there was no thread, whereupon I suggested one could be made, because a change of camshaft would involve reshimming, and he replied that it was too hard to drill. (the old guy who's been working on it seems to know the most but speaks virtually no English, so it's a bit of a challenge for my Spanish).
We knocked off the pulley and it seemed as though it didn't quite fit over the end of the 306 camshaft, but might have been a nice tight fit given a knock with a hammer. The pulley has a slot and when he said it was a problem there was no corresponding protrusion in the shaft, I suggested that the direction of travel would tighten the pulley bolt rather than loosen it, which wasn't easy to explain in Spanish.. he seems intent on changing the camshaft over and seems to appreciate it will need reshimming, so maybe I'd better just leave them to it..
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

cam shafts drill very easy as they are more carbon steel once you get passed the case hardening,

years ago i fixed a wedgy princesses cam were the locator roll pin had sheared, and we could not get the broken bit out on the side of the road

i lined up the sprocket and drilled straight though it and into the cam so i could re/pin it at a diferent point,

the cam just powdered as the drill cut though it

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

these cams can be drilled, but you have to be really craeful doing it, they are indescribably brittle!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Having convinced me that there was no alternative to a camshaft swap, they managed to break the camshaft I needed at the cam belt end, while removing it.
Worse than that, whilst removing the engine they managed to break one of the heater send/return plastic pipes, which means fitting a complete heater tap unit, which is a hell of a job. Thanks to RxBX I've got a camshaft and heater tap unit on the way, but no confidence that they'll be fitted expediently or competently...
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

How the hell did they break a camshaft?! :shock:
It is easier changing the heater tap with the engine out, as at least there's only one difficult to access side… It's also massively easier to change the clutch cable (a few minutes versus several hours) with the engine out too. There's one on eBay for £15 if you have any doubts about yours!

I hope they're not charging you any extra labour for their cock ups.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

cam shafts break very easy as they are only case hardened carbon steel, you bash one it will break into bits,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have