L E D dashlights

BX Tech talk
Mickey taker
Over 2k

L E D dashlights

Post by Mickey taker »

Am I right in thinking you can replace the dash and heater panel lights with LED s.
If so is it just a case of getting LED replacement bulbs or is it a soldering job.
If there are direct replacements what would I have to ask for at the shop.
Also can the light in the clock be made brighter ?
I can hardly see mine in daytime.
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: L E D dashlights

Post by Tim Leech »

You can get the bulbs and they are a direct fit, I tried it on the TRS but they were too bright and shone through the dials and looked naff.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It seems to be a bit of a lottery - what you want is an LED with a flattish end to give a more diffused beam. Some have more sharply domed tips and hence will be more directional, not what you want for a dashboard bulb!

Bear in mind that the dimmer will have little effect for two reasons; there will be less current going through it so less voltage drop across it and also an LED wired with a series resistor is less affected by the supply voltage.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
merlyn
BXpert

Post by merlyn »

Mickey taker wrote: Also can the light in the clock be made brighter ?

This really winds me up! The one in my Xantia was bright in the day then positively glowing when I put the lights on. In the BX I can hardly see it in the day and it is just black at night! I really would like to brighten it up.
1992 BX 1.6 TXi automatic Bleu Sirene
(now sadly gone)

1999 Xantia 1.8 SX automatic Gris Quartz
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I don't find it an issue, mind you strong sunlight isn't that common round these parts! It would be worth checking the bulb isn't blackened with age.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

merlyn wrote:
Mickey taker wrote: Also can the light in the clock be made brighter ?

This really winds me up! The one in my Xantia was bright in the day then positively glowing when I put the lights on. In the BX I can hardly see it in the day and it is just black at night! I really would like to brighten it up.
Take the clock apart and take the filter out, or change it for a more transparent filter. I guess it was tuned for night time driving/glare rather than being able to see it in the night.

The filter can readily be changed for a coloured piece of carrier bag. I use a piece of red M&S carrier bag to give me an orange look to the clock.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

thanks everyone, just to confirm it is capless 286 lamps I need isnt it ?.
[mustn't call them bulbs, bulbs are things you plant in the ground according to my electrician mate ]
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I have tri directioanl LED's in the valver, and Dad has the same in Phoenix. I have 286's in the TD, and they are shit. Cant remember where the tri ones came from, but I'll ask dad, they are utterly awesome!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Chris, could you find out where Geoff got the tri directional led's from for me please
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

is this the sort of thing Doc

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/ultimate-wid ... -1669.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

thats the kind of thing mate yes.
Sorry for the delay, been off line for a few days.
We get urs from http://www.crazyleds.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but they appear to be the same thing!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Got green tridirectional LEDs for the heater panal and what a difference,may be a bit bright for you younguns with 20/20 vision but they are just what I needed,now do I get green bulbs for the dash binnacle or white being as there must be some sort of green film behind the dials already unlike my heater panel
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Any piccies Mick and do we need sunglasses!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

Waiting for pics!
1989 Citroën BX 16v
1993 Citroën BX 16v project
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

merlyn wrote:
Mickey taker wrote:
Also can the light in the clock be made brighter ?

This really is one example of progress not necessarily being a good thing! The analogue clocks in both the GS and my previous BX's are no problem - they light up at night, and are just there in plain sight during the day. The digital clock in Timex is better than most being about right both lights off in the day and at night. The only time it doesn't work is when you need the lights on in the daytime, when it's far too dim. The best answer is to connect it to a light sensor rather than the sidelight circuit.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!