Thermostat change

BX Tech talk
Wooscary
BXpert

Thermostat change

Post by Wooscary »

Hello

So I decided today was the day for a nice thermostat change as the seal has apparently decided to no longer seal.

I had my replacement all ready, but obviously it is hard to tell before taking the whole thing to pieces if it really is the right one or if Eurocarparts are just idiots. Sadly, it may be closer to the latter.

As you can see, different sizes! (The old one is on the left). The seal was pretty crusty and has a small hole, which is probably where the leak is from, as I've rotated the seal on reassembly and the drip is now seemingly at that point. So, would anyone have one of these knocking about? Or a source for the correct 'stat+seal?

2012-07-03 13.45.01 by Wooscary, on Flickr

Included are a few more photographs because I can.

Yum, lovely colour in there.
2012-07-03 13.43.53 by Wooscary, on Flickr

Looks like a sewer pipe or something!
2012-07-03 13.44.01 by Wooscary, on Flickr

Isn't this was latex gloves were designed for?
2012-07-03 13.44.11 by Wooscary, on Flickr

This hose was nice and soft
2012-07-03 13.44.24 by Wooscary, on Flickr

But this one is starting to disintegrate nicely. Does anyone have one of these or know a source? It's the slightly smaller lower hose from the 'stat housing.
2012-07-03 14.10.34 by Wooscary, on Flickr

Cheers.
mat_fenwick

Re: Thermostat change

Post by mat_fenwick »

Is that the hose which goes to the oil cooler sandwich plate? If so I managed to get one mail order for around £20 earlier this year. Let me know the seal size and I'll have a rummage if you like, but while you have the 'stat out it might be best to take it to a local factors (if you are mobile!) and match it up. It looks like they have sent you the early type so I would get a refund from Euro Crap Parts - you shouldn't be out of pocket for their mistake.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

I think it might be that one, it goes off from the 'stat down towards the oil filter, so that sounds about right.

Once I whip it all off again (I thought it was worth putting it back on to see if it would hold, it nearly does, not leaking as much as before), I'll
post up the seal size. Cheers.

Yeah, I'm pretty unimpressed with them, they messed about with the wrong fuel filters for ages. It isn't exactly far from me in comparison to your Halfords example etc, but still annoying to keep having to go there.

Managed to flush plenty of water through the system though, which was good. Switched the heater on and off etc.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

the new stat you have there is inded the early one with the alloy housing. You need a bog standard stat with seal. If you ask for a stat for a diesel Xantia or ZX for that matter you'll get the right size stat
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...