cleaning lhm filters

BX Tech talk
Mickey taker
Over 2k

cleaning lhm filters

Post by Mickey taker »

well ive done a search but couldent find any reference ( I know Richard will post a link within 10 seconds lol)
haynes says to drop the car to low and release the pressure valve before removing the lhm tank clip and bits to get at the filters but I know someone else said that wasn't necessary.

so I dont screw up can someone write an idiots guide to cleaning the filters please.
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
mds141
Over 2k

Re: cleaning lhm filters

Post by mds141 »

I thought I did a while back. Did it get deleted when the server crashed?
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

I knew I had seen something on here, it must have gone in the great crash.
can you do it again pretty please Mark ?
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
bx petrol auto saloon
BXpert
My Cars: Citroens SAABs and Vauxhalls

Post by bx petrol auto saloon »

Dear Mick.
Thats the way I change the LHM Mick, put in low open the bleed valve and empty
the old fluid, clean the filters and the tank( mind your fingers as the edge of the tank is
very very sharp Mick :!: ) rebuild and bleed :wink:
Carb cleaner usually does a good job of the filters Mick :
Hope this helps Mick :)
Vince.
Passion Hydropneumatic Citroen,s

Cars;- 1993 White Citroen BX 1.6 TXi petrol
saloon auto with air-con & ABS.
47,594 Miles from new.
Owned for 3 years sorned.
1988 Silver SAAB 900i 2.0 8v F/lift,
saloon 5sp with 3 spoke Ronals,
69,000 Miles from new.
Owned for 15 years T & T.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Thanks Vince, do you need to empty the fluid everytime ?, what if you just want to clean the filters for now ?
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I'm on iPhone at moment but will do a proper write up when I get back home.
1. Put suspension to low, this allows most of the LHM to go back into the reservoir.
2. Remove retaining clip from top of tank.
3. Pull off cap with the supply/return hoses attached to it.
4. Remove filters. The D shaped one has a small clip at the bottom and IIRC the smaller return filter just pulls off.
5. Clean filters in petrol, allow to dry thoroughly and reinsert as reverse of removal.
No need to open pressure valve IMHO.
Think I've covered everything. Obviously set height lever to normal ride height after finishing filter cleaning.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

If you are just cleaning the filters you would be better off with less LHM in the reservoir i.e. not in low. I don't see why you need to release any pressure either?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

No need to undo the pressure relief valve at all.
Mark's description is spot on, although if you're hardcore, wash the filters in petrol whilst smoking. If you like to live, dont smoke whilst using petrol...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX-pert

Post by BX-pert »

You put it in low and release the pressure valve if you want to get the maximum of old fluid back into the tank when you are changing the LHM.
frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

docchevron wrote:No need to undo the pressure relief valve at all.
Mark's description is spot on, although if you're hardcore, wash the filters in petrol whilst smoking. If you like to live, dont smoke whilst using petrol...
Hahaha, I'm putting that in my signature
1989 Citroën BX 16v
1993 Citroën BX 16v project
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

BX-pert wrote:You put it in low and release the pressure valve if you want to get the maximum of old fluid back into the tank when you are changing the LHM.
That would be true but as per title Mick just wants to clean the filters.

Agreed, no need to release pressure, it's only LP lines at the tank.

Although, as more crap tends to sit at the bottom of the tank than in the actual filters it's best to remove the tank, filter the LHM through an old (clean) tea-towel and clean the tank out. Don't forget to actually remove the plastic disc in the bottom of the tank, sometimes they can be stuck there with crud and if you didn't know it was there you'd miss it!

Oh, and best take off the sovereign or you'll never get your delicate little lady-hands back out Mick :mrgreen:
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Birotor
BXpert

Post by Birotor »

A GS story again.... When I was shaking down my GS after I bought it in Hautes Alpes in 2005 I came up fast to a roundabout on the A36 and got a noise from the front like a machine gun. There was a slight leak on the front crankshaft seal... on a GS this lets engine oil into the HP pump and coats the filter in the tank with black gunge and starves the pump. When the car was being prepared for entry in the eventually cancelled 2008 London-Taj Mahal rally I planned to carry only 20/65 engine oil and no spare LHM and broom handle lengths to stuff down the front struts and wedges for the rear to deal with a catastrophic hydraulic problem on a long stage (the Turkey stage was over 1000 kms followed by two long long stages to cross Iran). I have only had to resort the engine oil once and that was with my BX14RE back in 1990 and did a temporary repair on the leaking return pipe and bunged in 20/50 Essolube.... and changed the LHM next day.
1974 GS Birotor, 1972 GS 1220 FIA Gp 2, 1992 BX 16 TGS, 1951 Velo-Solex, 1953 NSU Max 250, 1972 Honda ST50, Daughter has 1990 BX14 TGE
Previously owned include 1983 BX14RE Leader, Porsche 924, 1972 Porsche 911T, 1973 Porsche Carrera RS 2.7 (FIA Group 4), 1974 Porsche Carrera RS 3.0 (FIA Group 4 ex Le Mans), 1969 911 T/R (FIA Group 3 ex Le Mans), 1981 Porsche Group B 3.3 litre World Endurance Championship, 1991 Footwork Arrows Porsche Formula 1 (ex Alboreto & Caffi),
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

I cleaned mine the other day for the first time (fairly straightforward), and put in what apparently is the last bottle of Hydraurincage flushing fluid in the country.
beware of the fact that the hole in the FHM reservoir is like a very sharp knife, and unless you want to slit your wrists, use a large cloth to clean inside so that it protects your hands from the edges in the process.
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

GSF stock Hydraflush, as do Euro.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

JayW wrote:GSF stock Hydraflush, as do Euro.
Malcolm Lockwood will sell you some as well. (at 20 quid a pop - 10 quid cheaper than GSF)