Rear wheel scraping sound

BX Tech talk
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Rear wheel scraping sound

Post by Vanny »

as the topic title, im getting a semi nasty scraping sound from the rear drive side wheel area when turning right and over speed bumps. The rear arms are only 2000 miles into life, and while i have 17" x205 wheels on it doesnt appear to be the rubber, infact i cant see a cause at all.

Stuck the jack under the car and lifted the drivers side and the wheel is firm, not obviously touching anything, theres no sign of rubbage, infact there looks to be plenty of clearance. Only thing of note is that the pads touch the disks in a couple of places and make a similar though much quieter scraping noise.

I'm thinking sticky rear calipers catching the disks and something to do with the change in suspension pressure having some sort of effect??

Any better thoughts?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

When you looked for bits rubbing I 'm sure you looked at all the fuel piping and the additional fuel tank.

Is there any corrosion under the brake caliper causing misalignment. Apparently they are very sensitive and due to different metals corrosion occurs on the mounting face. If this is the case then cleaning it off will cure the problem.

jeremy
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

This may sound silly but I get the occasional scraping sound too over speed bumps which you could think could be attributed to that same area. However mine is attributable to the long clamp bolt (courtesy of quik fit) joining the front to mid section of the exhaust.

As my friendly council has resurfaced their pavement at my drive exit with a significant camber, if I forget to wait long enough for HP suspension, I cut grooves along the top of the tarmac camber! :)
Toddman
BXpert

noises

Post by Toddman »

Can sometimes be mudflaps getting scraped so worth checking.
Failing that I would think the calipers need a good clean up and lube so worth whipping the pads out and going over them.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I had one where the steel brake pipe had popped out of its plastic clip and was happily destroying itself rubbing on the rear tyre.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Hmmm, damn good thoughts there!

As i only propped the car up on the bottle jack thing supplied with the car i (strangely) did'nt stick my head under the car, however;
1) the filler neck on the fuel intake pipe is rusting out which could well indicate the fuel tank strap is buggered.
2) the fuel pipes (metal) where an arse and a half to put on originally and have always sticked lower than the body work, si there could be an answer in that!

better find out before i rub through the fuel tank or lines or worse!