BX19 automatic, cotrol cable

BX Tech talk
BXGTIBREAKAUTO

BX19 automatic, cotrol cable

Post by BXGTIBREAKAUTO »

On my 19 GTI Automatic, the gear selector cable has been changed to one from a Xantia due to the cable being obsolete from Citroen. The result is that the position of the lever dosent match the actual gear, and position P is unobtainable.
Does anyone else suffer from that, is the Xantia cable the only solution..And if so, me being a machinist, would there be any interest from other Auto owners in an adapter to match Xantia cable to the BX lever and get things working right? If so, then i'll make a small batch, once i figured out what to do.
Kim
kiwi
Over 2k

Re: BX19 automatic, cotrol cable

Post by kiwi »

You may have answered a question I asked about the autobox not aligning with the gears displayed and inability to get to the lower gears 1 and 2.

Wrong cable...thank you for that information :)
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
BXGTIBREAKAUTO

Post by BXGTIBREAKAUTO »

kiwi wrote:You may have answered a question I asked about the autobox not aligning with the gears displayed and inability to get to the lower gears 1 and 2.

I have the opposite problem, lucky me..Only position i can't get is Parking mode.. But nothing aligns, when the stick is at N its actually at A..Seems like me stick is "ahead" with one or 2 notches compared to the letters.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

BXGTIBREAKAUTO wrote:
kiwi wrote:You may have answered a question I asked about the autobox not aligning with the gears displayed and inability to get to the lower gears 1 and 2.

I have the opposite problem, lucky me..Only position i can't get is Parking mode.. But nothing aligns, when the stick is at N its actually at A..Seems like me stick is "ahead" with one or 2 notches compared to the letters.
Thats the problem we have! Only reason I spotted it was after replacing the bulb. Flicking it into A found out as in 3rd because of the revs being higher.
merlyn
BXpert

Post by merlyn »

Mine is spot on at the moment but if/when I was to need a replacement cable in the future I would definitely be wanting an adaptor to make it fit right and keep the gears as they should be.
1992 BX 1.6 TXi automatic Bleu Sirene
(now sadly gone)

1999 Xantia 1.8 SX automatic Gris Quartz
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

BXGTIBREAKAUTO wrote:On my 19 GTI Automatic, the gear selector cable has been changed to one from a Xantia due to the cable being obsolete from Citroën. The result is that the position of the lever dosent match the actual gear, and position P is unobtainable.
Does anyone else suffer from that, is the Xantia cable the only solution..And if so, me being a machinist, would there be any interest from other Auto owners in an adapter to match Xantia cable to the BX lever and get things working right? If so, then i'll make a small batch, once i figured out what to do.
Kim
Surely this is just a matter of adjusting the cable slightly?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
BXGTIBREAKAUTO

Post by BXGTIBREAKAUTO »

Defender110 wrote:
BXGTIBREAKAUTO wrote:On my 19 GTI Automatic, the gear selector cable has been changed to one from a Xantia due to the cable being obsolete from Citroën. The result is that the position of the lever dosent match the actual gear, and position P is unobtainable.
Kim
Depends on how much the cable differs, i guess.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

BXGTIBREAKAUTO wrote:
Defender110 wrote:
Kim
Depends on how much the cable differs, i guess.
Tried that and it dont work, I nearly ended up running myself over. #-o
BXGTIBREAKAUTO

Post by BXGTIBREAKAUTO »

Okay, did a bit of analyzing.. The cable itself (2444.79 and now NFP) is pretty close to cable number 2444.J7 from a Xantia..However, the travel is about half of what is needed. And now..IF I had changed the cable, and the cable was NFP, and the outer "casing" was reuseable, i'd bought a length of inner cable and figured out a solution..However, i didn't.
I did something else, as i contacted Conservatoire and politely asked for advice and or help..At first they didn't know exactly what car i had, apart from it being a BX, experts called in, photos send, VIN send.. Then i got a cryptic mail that stated that the enclosed pdf file was for my eyes only, topsecret, and my car was loaded with extras. So, it's basically (as i kinda knew) a rebadged 125hp TZI Break with a few GTI bits..But still rare, 1st it's an official GTI Break, 2nd it's automatic which makes it rarer..I was told that they're only 3 known survivors of the mythical GTI Break Auto breed..
Drifting of tangent here..Now, they will do all they can, to help me (us) finding a cable. Once a cable (new or 2nd hand) has been sourced, then i'll see if i can work out the correct length and a way to attach the 5mm studs at the end of the cable.