Suspension leaning to one side (EDIT - failed drop link)

BX Tech talk
mat_fenwick

Re: Suspension leaning to one side

Post by mat_fenwick »

:lol:

I was a little shocked too, but got them for £45 each (sounds better than £90 for both) which is just about bearable. I do clock up a fair few miles, and don't normally buy just on price but in this case had used the justification that they were easy to change if they wore out quickly. I hadn't considered the implications of a failure, but after having it fail mid corner I don't want to experience that again! If the bend had been a RH bend, or there had been someone coming then it's likely there would have been an accident - at the very least a trip onto the verge but could have been a head on crash.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

mat_fenwick wrote: Just phoned the dealer - NFP :( As for comeback - I WILL be getting a refund for the failed one although I suspect I can't legally claim a refund for the one that has not yet failed. I will be changing both as soon as I can find better quality ones.
Mat, you probably can! IIRC under the "Sale of Goods Act", goods have to be suitable for the purpose for which they are sold - this failure could prove that these are not.

However they will probably want the units back before a refund is given so the only downside should be to take off the working one too.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'll be able to collect the Citroen ones this weekend, but their counter-argument may well be that it was an isolated one off failure. Which may be the case, but I'm not willing to put it to the test! They were only £8 each, so I'm not going to loose too much sleep over it - I thought they were too cheap at the time but only take 15 minutes to change so I wasn't worried if they wore out in say a year..

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Eight quid?? Charlie Chan was definately involved there! When I bought some last year I used a parts service which offerred a spread from €15 up to €60. I think I paid €35 each for German manufactured items after having a similar experience with cheapo suspension parts that didn't actually fit.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
andycadabra
BXpert

Re: Suspension leaning to one side (EDIT - failed drop link)

Post by andycadabra »

My nearside drop link has been trouble-free for 10 years, but the offside one I replaced 2 years ago had gone after 18 months apparently at each end, although it hadn't come completely apart. I got it from eBay from a seller by the name of jake-the-must. GSF are going to have one in stock tomorrow - I hope theirs are better, they have a year guarantee anyway..
I discovered a useful trick for removing and fitting - undoing on the highest setting, and then switching to standard height setting - this lifts the ARB off the drop link. vice versa for fitting I presume..
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN