air in the diesel - bleeding the system

BX Tech talk
richg
Confirmed BX'er

air in the diesel - bleeding the system

Post by richg »

Since I changed the head gasket on the 92 TXD I 've had problems starting ( usually only when cold) and am now getting' surging' which I assume is due to air in the fuel system.Also the engine can cut out on short runs - this usually happens at/near junctions !

Are their any particular areas where air leaks are common ?
What 's the best way to bleed the system ?

It has a Lucas CAV pump with a remote filter bolted to the waxstat/ thermostat housing

Rich g
( Malcolm - we chatted about this at Harrogate but its getting worse so need to take some action)
JayW
1K Away

Re: air in the diesel - bleeding the system

Post by JayW »

Firstly, you should open the water drain, particularly if you've been using supermarket fuel.

Air leaks could be anywhere in the system, but most commonly ath the metal/rubber pipejoint or the fuel heater on the back of the block near the octopus. The latter was what caused my same issue on the TGD, after bypassing the heater the problem was resolved.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

hi Rich
yes i remember some of the conversation at the ICCCR,

the usual air leak point on with the type of filter you have bolted to the thermostat housing, is the large thin O ring under the filter housing, used to be around a fiver from citroen,

did you have this fault before doing the head gasket, if so maybe its something you have done, and possibly not an air leak at all???

regartds malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

I'd check the cold start settings (cable from thermo housing to pump) as presumably that was disturbed during the head gasket change. Also check that the anti-stall lever and cold start lever can move independently and haven't stuck together (smaller of the shaft/lever assemblies on top of the pump at the cambelt end).
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
richg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by richg »

Kev - I fitted a new waxstat and cable so it would worth checking that its set up OK and that the levers are not 'stuck' together on the spindle
Malc. will check the O ring - I did fit a new one as fuel leaked badly when I tried to get away with the used o ring.

Does anyopne the purpose of the plastic cylinder which is clipped to the head. ( see image attached) Is this just a means of connectiing various pipes together
Attachments
BX fuel pipe.jpg
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Looks like leak-off recovery. It's different to the older ones so possibly retro-fit or a late addition.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

here is part No. and citroen's description of what they call the plastic capsule

1579 76
2 WAY UNION
DIAM 9X15

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

My DTR has a tendency to surge now and again since we changed the fuel filter, it starts first time every time though, any ideas if its a similar issuse, again its Lucas Cav.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi at the bottom of the filter housing on the side is a white disc, looking from the front of the car is on the left hand side, this is a Fuel thermostat ,please dont try to remove it because it will end in tears, an air leak can occur here the cure is to clean the area and then clean it again then fill it with araldite, if there is a leak then that should take care of that one.
Cheers.
G
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.