Rear strut boot gone bye bye.

BX Tech talk
Wooscary
BXpert

Rear strut boot gone bye bye.

Post by Wooscary »

Hello

Right, so there has been a slight creak from the nsr corner, started to wonder if the work I just had done there was failing already.

Anyway, had a peek and it looks like at some point either myself (don't remember this happening) or a tyre place (as has been said by many never let them do anything) has jacked the car using the little plate that sits directly under the rear strut, causing it to deform slightly. This has obviously grazed the rubber sufficiently to completely bloody destroy it, which has probably let all sorts in. The plate doesn't appear to be actually touching the strut, and I'm confident in being able to pull it/bend it back out/straight.

But clearly I'll need a new boot on there. Probably going to be a garage job, but just wanted to check and see if by some miracle this is easy. Ha ha.

If I've used the wrong terms for the parts, or if you have no idea what I'm on about I will happily elaborate.

Cheers.
mat_fenwick

Re: Rear strut boot gone bye bye.

Post by mat_fenwick »

Not a difficult job at all - the only possible issue might be getting the end of the pushrod from the strut out from its recess in the suspension arm. It's held in place by a spring clip which may have also rusted into position. If you can do that then you're laughing!

I'd be worried about corrosion of the piston, but hopefully you've caught it in time before any damage is done.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

The other "only possible problem" is the hydraulic pipe probably won't come off the strut cylinder intact.

Probably best to get a replacement pipe before you start.

As Mat says,the aluminium of the cylinder can rot though. The dirt collects under it.

I replaced my N/S strut 3 years ago,and intend to do the O/S soon.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

I'll have a look at Haynes and see if it looks within my abilities. Cheers for the thoughts.

The front struts really need replacing too I think, very sticky and pretty corroded under the rubber too.

Erg.

Oh well.

Thanks.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I've got one of these to do on Timex.

Haynes says you have to remove the whole thing from the sub frame to do it, but I've been told that you can do it in situ by unclipping the end from the arm then swinging the arm up.

I'd check your other side where the return pipes connect - that's where mine's gone. Got the replacement from the local dealer - cost just over £6 IIRC.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Mike E (uk) wrote:The other "only possible problem" is the hydraulic pipe probably won't come off the strut cylinder intact.

Probably best to get a replacement pipe before you start.

As Mat says,the aluminium of the cylinder can rot though. The dirt collects under it.
I was actually meaning corrosion of the steel piston which is normally protected by the boot, like this:

The photo is proof that you can change the boot with the strut still in place, so you shouldn't need to worry about the hydraulic feed pipe. Mike is right though, the aluminium cylinder wall can corrode right through.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I've had to have a rear strut replaced, it was rotted from the outside, the metal was so soft a screwdriver could make the damaged section look like swiss cheese with no effort. It's that shield around it that appears to capture dirt which builds up over time & then it gets wet, stay's wet & corrodes the aluminium cylinder. Damn annoying, as otherwise the rear cylinders would last practically forever as they seem sturdier than the fronts. Good news is that the non-hydractive xantia rear struts are available 2nd hand or new with a slight modification which will allow them to fit. The pistons need swapping over though as the xantia one is a different lenghth.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

As I've mentioned before, I drilled a small hole at the lowest point of the shield to prevent water/mud build up there. That was back in 2005 (both of mine failed within a week!) and subsequent inspections have shown only a little corrosion. Time will tell whether it's an improvement!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I tried painting mine, they've lasted 13 years, but looking crusty now...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

here is price and part No.'s of the boot and retaining clip from citroen

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
26140919 BOOT CLAMP 5.56 GBP 6.67 GBP 6.67 GBP

95577323 CYLINDER BOOT 7.94 GBP 9.53 GBP 9.53 GBP

you could give Malcolm Lockwood (M C Lockwood ) a call on
01274 640590
as he is usually very helpful and prompt service with reasonable price's,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Thanks very much for all the thoughts, and Malcolm, thanks for the numbers.

I'm definitely up for trying this myself, but it does look a bit scary. Oh well. :D
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Did it myself today on Timex - you may need WD40 or similar on the clip to free it up, but did it in situ in about an hour, but the next one will be quicker!

Push the rod through the cover to locate it before feeding both into the cylinder (don't forget the clamp).

Once the rod and cover are positioned, jack the arm up to push it all into place before inserting the clip.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

dont use that ORRIBLE W stuff as its not a lub or freeing agent, but a moisture displace'nt
and it dont do as it says on the can

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

It helped in this case, but I must admit I only used it because it was what my mate (who's drive I've been using) had lying around!
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

I've used PlusGas in the part which seems to work well - I also like Bilt Hamber products, although they're not the cheapest, but after treating one BX to loads of their cavity wax I got some of this that works well too for penetrating duties...
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate