Steering knock

BX Tech talk
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Steering knock

Post by Dollywobbler »

The new BX has some serious clonks from the front end. Can't feel any play in the ARB drop links or the balljoints (though one was an advisory last year) but there's a very distinct clonk on the LH track rod when I pull along its length. I'm guessing this is the inner track rod. What sort of a job is that to change? The part itself doesn't seem too pricey. Mike - knowing you did both on the Mk1, I'd appreciate your thoughts! Did you change them while the rack was out?
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: Steering knock

Post by citsncycles »

Sorry - the recon rack came with inner joints!

I have done the same job on the GS, and if it's anything to go by it should be an easy job
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
B-Hive
BXpert

Re: Steering knock

Post by B-Hive »

If it is the steering axials, I have to say that it would be a job better done with the whole steering rack out.

It was one of those jobs that I kept putting off on the first Mk1 TRS..Access not great and you need sometimes quite a bit of "persuasion" to nip them loose.

Steering rack is not an awful job, but not super easy either.. But once out it does also make it a snap to put on new gaitors and a fresh hardy disc.

Also worth checking the sub frame bolts are tight, its also very hard to test for balljoint/bush and drop link wear as the suspension system is rarely neutral (its either in tension or compression)
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed