Mk1 in dash speaker

BX Tech talk
citsncycles
Over 2k

Mk1 in dash speaker

Post by citsncycles »

Anyone know how this is wired in? I'm assuming as the set up seems to be a 3 speaker system that there's some sort of crossover set up between this speaker and the 2 in the top of the dash. Unfortunately I don't have much to go on as the speaker wiring in Timex has been chopped about a lot over the years. For now I'm using the spearkers in the MK2 door cards, but I hope to use the original speakers in the 2nd dash I have, the in dash speaker and 2 in the rear mounts in the back.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
B-Hive
BXpert

Re: Mk1 in dash speaker

Post by B-Hive »

Hi , I believe that you are referring to the UNDER dash boomer..

If you have (as it sounds like) the 3 or 5 speaker arrangement.. ie 2 in dash tweeters, optional 2 rear mount c pillar "mids" and one under dash woofer/boomer, it really is quite simple.

AFAIK the OE set it up as a 2 channel system, left and right with dash speakers and rear pillar speakers wired in parallel. the centre/underdash speaker is operated by 2 separate coils, again in parallel with left and right stereo outputs. this is what you are asking I guess.. Basically both left and right channels are fed into the separate coils on this baby, but are filtered through a low pass filter/crossover ..feeding it only the lower frequencies.

Despite the audiophiles rubbishing the system, i have managed to utilise the basic setup with great results..

Dash and pillar speakers have been swapped out with suitably sized/spec home stereo drivers (from an op shop 5 quid), and the boomer left in situ. adding a nice warmth to the sound.. And if you are lucky like me, your car will be fitted with the factory front/rear fader control in the centre console. This truly allows an almost quadraphonic surround sound for most music, as you can balance and fine tune on the fly. I have a 4 channel head deck but utilise only the front 2, as it makes use of the existing speaker wiring..

The original wiring loom has (from memory) green for the left and brown for the right.

Its a bad idea IMO to add the Mk2 front door furniture and/or add any speakers to the rear parcel shelf. My first TRS had rear shelf speakers and they were uber annoying any time that you needed to avail yourself of the car's load space, because I invariably forgot to detach speaker leads , mutating the speaker connection lugs, AND the shelf would never sit flat ..

If I could advise of anything, when replacing the rear c-pillar speaker, be sure to use quality drivers and wad the chamber/cavity with acoustic wool or similar.

If you don't have wiring in place to the c-pillars, with a bit of a fiddle you can get the wires down to the boot.. I know this because I used the rear speaker grills in the first Mk1 as blue mood lights, so i needed feed power cables from the rear lights up to the c-pillar grilles (feeling the shame)
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Ah thanks. Like many things, the radiowiring has been chopped about over the years.

At present there are mk2 door cards fitted, and the front door speakers are wired in (back to front), but there's no sign of the wiring for the under dash speaker, or the dash top ones. I have a better dash assembly to go in which has the speakers in place, but am undecided as to whether to use them or swap another set in. I certainly want to return to the correct door cards (if I ever find some!).

No fader control, and no rear speakers, which go under horizontal grills (also missing) behind the back seats either side of the parcel shelf. I've been eyeing up some 8.5cm Blaupunkt speakers for there, especially as I'd like to find a period Blaupunkt radio cassette to replace the Realistic one that's currently fitted. I've spotted one on Ebay, but have read somewhere that because the security code was user set, not factory set, they are nigh on impossible to crack the code if you don't have it. If I don't get enough base with the under dash speaker, I do have an old 80w active base tube for the back - I have it's bigger brother in the back of the GS!

No great rush on any of the above - it's not as if I don't have anything else to do on either Timex or the rest of the fleet :shock: :lol:
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Mike,
I have a blaupunkt boston cc20 head unit you can have for the cost of the postage or if someone can collect it from MK. ( anyone passing on route to France p.m. me),
It was in the meteor when I got it but not connected.
It has a blaupunkt code slip with it ( tucked between the head unit and cage) but cannot gaurantee its the right one as the serial numbers on the slip and the unit do not match.
If the code is not correct it should be on the origional manufacturers code (which I dont have )as it was an old guy that owned the car and I cant see that he would have messed about with it.
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Ooh, yes please - may be a little late for mine, but still a step in the right direction, and if I find an earlier one to replace it it can be passed on in the same way :D
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I much prefer 6x9's in the rear parcel shelf, you really can bang out the tunes at volume & the quality is ace as its got a nice acoustic chamber in the boot. The C pillar speakers are a weird size, i tried years ago to find some that would fit, but couldn't so just got the 6x9's instead. I've also got it set up so that i can disconnect the wires to make the rear shelf removal a bit easier, but yes i agree with 2bxornot2bx, it's less faff to leave as standard. But what price audiophile quality :wink: :D
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

2 reasons for me not doing that - I think I can get a better speaker in the back as the estate rear speaker position seems to have more space than the hatch, and I don't want to cut the rear shelf as I know how difficult estate shelves with all the bits at the back intact are to find. It's probably the best bit of the interior :oops:
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

You'll have to post up some piccies on what you decide, might help others in the future over which way to go. Aren't the speaker dimensions the exact same in the hatch & estate? If the estate is different, then you should have a good choice of which one's to fit. The hatch sized one's haven't been made for donkey's years as i found out about 7yrs ago, so gave up with that idea & tbh the way they were fitted looked like there wouldn't be much in the way of a quality sound to come out.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I think the diameter's are the same, but instead of being in the rear quarters they're on top of the pieces either side of the parcel shelf, behind the seatbelts - I'll take some pics tomorrow
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Ok buddy pm me your address and I will get it in the post to you
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Done, and thanks :D
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

It's on its way
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Radio arrived today - pm how you want payment and I'll get it sorted.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Forget it Mike,call it my contribution to keep Timex ticking
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Fantastic job, thanks =D> =D> =D>
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD