Just for putting my mind at peace

BX Tech talk
Junkman
Confirmed BX'er

Just for putting my mind at peace

Post by Junkman »

This must be a rather dumb question for all you hydro-pneumatic high-priests, but I just want to make sure whether the suspension of my car is working correctly.

- If I start the car when it has completely sunken down, it takes about 10-15 seconds for the red 'stop' lamp to go off, the car starts rising first front, then rear, and reaches normal ride level within ca. 5 seconds after the light went off.

- If I park the car, it starts sinking in the back only, and it takes about an hour for it to completely sink in the back. At this time, the front hasn't yet gone down at all. It takes about 3-4 hours for the front to sink.
1992 BX 19 TXD Break

Anyone driving slower than me, is an idiot.
Anyone driving faster than me, is a lunatic.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Re: Just for putting my mind at peace

Post by MULLEY »

How often does the accumulator hiss? If its low on pressure then the suspension takes longer to rise as the hydraulic pump has to work harder, not a good thing. The more it hisses the worse it is, if there are nice longish gaps between the hisses then its working fine. I can't remember the exact number of hisses are considered normal, someone remind me please?

The rear dropping 1st sounds like the doseur valve, is it worth repairing? probably not as long as the cars brakes work fine, then you can put up with the spaceship launch position until the fronts drop down.

The lhm might be old, so worth doing a full change if you've never done it in your ownership, hydraflush is also worth using as well, but not everyone uses it. Have you checked your hydraulic pump belt is very tightly fitted? If not some slipping might cause a delay in the suspension rising.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Yeah, that doesn't sound too bad. A really healthy hydraulic system should start lifting the car within a few seconds, so fresh LHM and a filter clean-out might be in order. My TXD behaves pretty much as yours does.

The sinking sounds pretty normal. Some drop very quickly at the back but they all take longer for the front to drop.

Accumulator hiss/clatter should be at least every 10 secs, up to 30 secs for a really healthy one. However, The Green Tiger was hissing every 5-8 seconds and still rises quickly.
Junkman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Junkman »

So far, I haven't really heard the accumulator hiss or clatter at all, so it must be in such long intervals that I ran out of patience and slammed the bonnet shut before the next hiss/clatter.

Seriously, is this a distinctive sound? I had a GS and two CXes and they made a very distinctive 'tick'. I cannot hear anything like it from the BX.
1992 BX 19 TXD Break

Anyone driving slower than me, is an idiot.
Anyone driving faster than me, is a lunatic.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Does depend on the pump but it can generally be heard quite easily. Would be unusual for it to take longer than 30 seconds to run. Identifying it over the diesel clatter is harder, but it should still be audible. The revs may drop slightly as it kicks in.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

My 14 used to take over 20 seconds between runs. Timex is up to 8 or 9, and does seem to pressure up quicker than it used to, but I still have a couple of things to try to improve this. Both drop quicker at the back - in fact the 14 was so quick that it would have started dropping before I even got out of the car! I gather in severe cases the back will drop when the brakes are applied, but I've not experienced this myself yet.

Pump is certainly a different sound to the GS one - it's a totally different design after all. Depending on the model, the CX could have either type pump fitted, although it was usually the multi piston set up similar to the BX.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!