My Brothers BX has died; has anyone got any initial idea?

BX Tech talk
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: My Brothers BX has died; has anyone got any initial idea

Post by Dollywobbler »

Actually, when my 2CV did get punted rather firmly from behind by an amorous Mondeo, the seat came off its runners which neatly absorbed the impact and saved me from whiplash. Though it did leave me in a car that was now driving down the road and I could no longer reach the pedals...
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

As Jayw would say; "Oh Cock" - It was the differential after all. Changed the driveshaft and then found nothing wrong with the one that came off. I think the play I felt must have been the lateral free play to allow for suspension movement.

Oh well, at least I have had practice removing the most difficult side shaft ready for when I have to do the gearbox. It actually looks like it will drop out fairly easily and there is nothing in the way on the 14.

It kind of figures. The physics I did in my head when I drove it was; the fault steers the car violently, therefor it must be the shaft locking and moving the hub therefore tugging at the wheel, whereby the physics I should have done in my head was that tanks steer by braking on set of tracks...Broken diff = Momentarily power to one wheel but not the other...
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

So today I started work replacing the gearbox. Due to poor judgement of journey time and severe Northern headwind, I only got started at 4. The BX had totally lost drive, but I could hear the noise it made was higher pitch, the higher the gear, so it was obviously final drive related. Last week when I stupidly replaced a good long driveshaft, it came out so easily - There are no lockrings on the 14. This week, about an hour was wasted trying to pull this replacement shaft out. The intermediate bearing had decided it was stuck. Eventually I remembered my old stratedgy for this....Wedge a large strong spanner between the inner CV joint and engine mounting, and put a breaker bar through the hole at the other end, and twist. It worked right way. However, when I took the shaft out, I noticed that one end could spin without the other spinning. The lockring here had popped out of the outer joint. I am seriously hoping that this was due to me tugging on it and was not the cause for the continuos "gearbox problem". So now I either take a gamble and put it all back together again, or carry on changing the gearbox. I have from 7AM till 10AM as I have to take my Dad to the Airport again, and I really have been putting the 2CV to too much motorway abuse already! It's time to let the comparitively speaking Jet Liner like long leggedness of the BX14 take the Airport run strain me thinks! Having said that the 2CV engine is more turbine like and seems strong.

So current status is: Driveshafts out, car on axel stands. Clutch cable removed, earth straps removed, gearbox mounting removed. Speedo cable stilll attached.

Can I whip the gearbox out, pop a new one in, and do all the steering bitts and bobs up safely in 3 hours?... Well tomorrow morning, ill find out! I am not confident. I just don't fancy having to break up the job with a drive to Birmingham!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Given the choice (and it's one I have had to make previously!) I'd rather take a working 2CV than an iffy BX! Top tip. Stuff something under the front seats to stop the hot air from the heater leaking into the rear. Keeps you much warmer! Though 2CV heaters work at their best at motorway speeds anyway...
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Thanks for the tip about putting something under the seats Ian, I'll be sure to try that. At the moment it would be a lost cause as there are 5 15 inch slashes in the roof, so its just uber cold!

Gearbox is in the BX, with original driveshaft, and from what I could tell on a 1 mile drive, it's fully sorted....Many cuts, oil strains and swear words later! Had to break it up with a trip to the airport in the 2CV, and got totally soaked while crawling around on the floor. One of my brothers really helpful friends said to me when I couldn't remember where a bolt went... "What you should do is draw a diagram before you take things apart"...Argh well thank you for stating the bleeding obvious! He had a point, but at the time it was a very annoying point!