heated mirrors

BX Tech talk
smiffy1071
pies are evil!

heated mirrors

Post by smiffy1071 »

I've just fitted heated mirrors to my TZD, and threaded all the wires through the door looms into the dashboard.
My question is where on the fuse board do I connect them, so they come on with the heated rear window?

Also, as the TZD wasn't meant to have two electric mirrors, how do I modify the direction switch, so that both mirror heads don't work at the same time? (ie, I want it to work like a 16v car)
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Re: heated mirrors

Post by Mickey taker »

Don't know if I'm stating the obvious here John but my electric mirror switch had a second smaller switch next to it which allowed you to select which mirror you wanted to adjust
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Mickey taker wrote:Don't know if I'm stating the obvious here John but my electric mirror switch had a second smaller switch next to it which allowed you to select which mirror you wanted to adjust

Not that simple I'm afraid, Matt Fenwick will be along shortly with the answer to this one. Ref. the heated element perhaps just nick a feed from the heated window switch?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Did someone mention me? It's explained in thisthread but in a nutshell for cars with only one electric mirror Citroen appeared to use a similar loom for both RHD and LHD cars, and a switch which is different to that used on cars with twin electric mirrors. So it's not only the switch but the wiring to modify - behind the glovebox there are two (green?) wires from the existing mirror switch which then split into four, two to each mirror. You need to cut off the wires that lead to your new electric driver's mirror, and connect them to the two terminals on your modified switch that were previously not connected to anything. The wires run from the mirror down underneath the footwell carpet, diagonally towards the middle of the seat - I cut them again at this point, pulled them back through towards the switch and connected them.

That's a rather large nutshell I'm afraid! :oops:

An XM switch will do, kind of - the only problem being that the direction the mirrors move is opposite to the BX switch, and counter intuitive. I may have one in my box of bits if you're stuck. As Kevan says, just tap into the HRW circuit - the link explains in a little more detail. It would be neat if there was an unused connector on the fuse board you could tap into, but don't know if this is the case. A bit of probing with a multimeter might tell you though.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Defender110 wrote:Matt Fenwick will be along shortly with the answer to this one.
Sorry Mat should have wrote Mat Fenwick will be along shortly, apologies sir.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.