BX 2.0 CT Turbo, it begins....

BX Tech talk
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Re: BX 2.0 CT Turbo!

Post by BX Bandit »

MULLEY wrote:Is this a mid-life crisis mate???
That made me laugh. Not at you Tim, but at the brash-ness of Mulleys question......

Using Hiliary's mph/1000 rpm, then with the TD box, the TCT will be doing exactly the same rpm as the TD engine. e.g

at 50 mph in 5th the engine will be at 1901 rpm
at 70 mph in 5th the engine will be at 2662 rpm.

For an N/A petrol I'd say forget it and that was probably the thinking behind not using a TD box. i.e. all your tourque in a n/a petrol is 4000rpm ish (not knowing ANY modern petrol engine), where as the bx TD is 2500, which make acceleration in 5th from 70 pretty comfortable.

However, yours will be a Turbo Petrol, and so the TD gear ratio's are more favourable, however, I don't know what the power/torque curve of the TCT is, but my guess is the TD box will leave you a little sluggish from 50 (there's always 4th gear though) but probably otherwise ok.

The guys from romania mated a BE3 to the 2.1td, using an uprated clutch. I'm not sure about the flywheel but they clearly achieved a good outcome.

Using the overhead i/c is probably too small at my guess. You've got more flow and thus more heat to dispose of and I'd be very surprised of the TD inlet manifold will fit the TCT. You could of course get one made. If you search around the internet, there are various 'calculators' that will help determine the size of your intercooler, helping you decide if the TD I/C is sufficient.

At the least I'd say you need vented discs. The valver discs are common with early Xantia of the D and I think TD variety and as early Xants had 14" wheels they should fit behind standard BX wheels (don't know for sure). The Xantia calipers have a bigger piston, so more braking effort, but then you really ought to have stiffer spheres (TD/GTi spec i.e. 400cc) unless you're very sure to slow up well for the corners. The TD/16V anti roll bar should go in the front (what spec car are you putting this in?) and ideally a 16v anti roll bar at the back (although you'll need 16v rear arms or make a mod).
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Thanks Neil,

The idea would be to fit 16v front calipers and discs just incase, I wont be throwing it round corners so will keep the standard BX set up, but may change the spheres for 16v ones, and it has 16v alloys on it already. The idea is to have a car thats a fast cruiser and not one to scream round hairpins in.

I was hoping to just use the TD intercooler and get hoses to connect that to the TCT inlet so I can use the BX under bonnet ducting and avoid fitting a front mounted one so I can use a standard BX TD rad set up.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

If you want to keep the ride smooth, forget the 16v ARB's! Aslong as you're not too fussed about hairing around corners, I'd stick with something like GTi or TZD Turbo spec gear myself.

In answer to Neil's post, the TCT has a power curve very similar to a diesel. It wakes up very slightly later, though still below 3k RPM and will hold on longer. It's not a patch on a decent twin-cam for driving pleasure, but it's very easy to wind it up. Think of it as a TD, but much better to drive and alot more thirsty :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Ive got a Golf 1.4 TSi at the moment, which only has 140bhp but has lots of low down torque and in every day driving is great, very smooth and punchy. If I could get something like that but with the beauty of a BX then I will be a happy chap.
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Not to pour cold water on such a magnificent project....but have you thought of getting a quote for insurance on the beast in advance? These days anything non standard could be very hard to insure and you could find yourself paying more in insurance than you might for a 'standard' supercar or suchlike.
Just my tuppence worth........sounds like a monster of a project.
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi Mike

I am aware of the insurance problems but know of a company that deals with modified cars so should be too much of a hassle.

Cheers
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Sureterm are good for modified and kit cars - I managed to Insure a Lomax as a daily driver with them no trouble.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Tim Leech wrote:Ive got a Golf 1.4 TSi at the moment, which only has 140bhp but has lots of low down torque and in every day driving is great, very smooth and punchy. If I could get something like that but with the beauty of a BX then I will be a happy chap.
A TCT will give you that. They sound crap and chew fuel, and they're pretty dull, but for what you've just said they're perfect.

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I do less than 1000 miles a year in WTF Kitch, and im not that bothered what it sounds like, a cone air filter, dump valve and maybe a rear box may improve things!
Last edited by Tim Leech on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Panel filter? Does fuck all for sound or performance. Drilling holes in the airbox has a much more dramatic effect on sound, and the main restriction of a standard air filter setup is the box and pipe work, not the filter itself. The only advantage to a panel filter is that it lasts longer. Great, only have to do 10 year's worth of servicing to pay it off then!

Dump valve, sounds good......if you're a chav!

Rear box.....maybe. Lack of a cat will improve it anyway, and with just a rear silencer you might bring out some turbo burble, but in fairness you want refined swiftness....keep it quiet like a Xantia!

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I need an ecu and a front pipe if anyonr knows of any? Its for the earlier car with one coil pack and leads, and keypad immobiliser so the ecu will need to be unlocked.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Have a look on ebay Tim. I've also emailed you a link.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

mds141 wrote:Have a look on ebay Tim. I've also emailed you a link.
Cheers mark but i cant afford or have room for another engine.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Kitch wrote:Panel filter? Does fuck all for sound or performance. !
We'll have to test this theory on the rolling road day, i'll bring along a paper filter & we can then play :) If i get half a bhp i'll be pleased, haha...
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Re: BX 2.0 CT Turbo, it begins....

Post by Tim Leech »

As you know the engine and box has arrived, I think Ive located an ECU but still need a Xantia front pipe, I will look at a BX TD one and see if it can be "adapted" if anyone has a spare I could borrow, if it can be made to fit of course money will change hands...I will need to fit the insert for a lambda probe though.

The Xantia one comes complete with cat though which I dont want.

I will shortly be removing the Xantia HP pump, Aircon pump an alternator, are these of any commercial value?