LPG or Diesel.... The Great Debate!

BX Tech talk
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Looking for something bigger than an AX/106/Metrarse doesn't mean you'll loose too much in economy either. I have a habit of driving the tits off a car on an annoyingly regular basis, hence I'm not known for my ability to get the best in fuel consumption from anything.

That said, there is no way I can every get the economy of my 1.9TD 405 below 40MPG, and it usually gets at least 45, with almost no dual carriageway/m-way work at all. If it gets to stretch it's legs on the "open" road (with modern traffic levels? Hah!) it can often get into the 50's.

My father borrowed it for a little while recently, and managed nearly 60MPG. Why can't I do that? :evil:
this might be a signature
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

94 Metro will have suspension linked each side, unlike the earlier ones which had it alinked across the axle. This produced a dramatic improvement inthe car and I remember from the one I test drove that I could get it to lurch on the handbrake like an 1100. I don't think these modifications stopped them rusting though.

The problem with gas kits is that they aren't necesarily well developed for the engine they are applied to and therefore don't give good performance or economy. I'd think twice before modifying a car for gas unless I really understaood the subject and simply buy a diesel and have an easy life.

jeremy
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Mr B wrote:If I remember, the Metro has 3 filler points, one for each front corner and a single for the rear axle. I could be wrong as its been a while since I had the misfortune to work on one..........
All the Metros I`ve owned had loads of filler points-rear arches, sills, bottom of doors, wings and front and rear valances!
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

A pug 106D (or the equivalent AX/Saxo) was the most amazingly fuel-efficient car I've ever driven. It also cruised nicely on the motorway, though it has to be 2-up at most. If going for any TUD-engined car , I'd be tempted to go for one with the 1.5 rather than the 1.4: less chance of valve/gasket problems (this is what I've been told a few times by people who service/repair them on a regular basis).