Need a (broken) but complete speedo cable as sample

BX Tech talk
cacaolat
BXpert

Need a (broken) but complete speedo cable as sample

Post by cacaolat »

Hi
I am attempting to send in a complete speedo cable to "Speedy Cables". therfore I had my old cable removed for this reason, but now it is incomplete (see pictures below). I believe only a complete cable would be good as a sample to have a new one made.
Mine has the end bit missing and the inside bit of the upper cable (don't ask the mechanic just gave it to me like this.

So my MAIN QUESTION: Do you have an old broken or not , but complete cable which you can send to me, so I can send it to the cable makers. If it is a working cable I could return it to you.

If you only have the lower bit of the cable that would be fine too, as this part I have and it is complete and working.
My plan was to send this to the company, have my one made and also tell them that there may be many others who may want to order exactly the same cable.

Can anyone help ? as this would be a helpful for many other bx club members too.

here my incomplete cable photos:
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
sdelasal
BXpert

Re: Need a (broken) but complete speedo cable as sample

Post by sdelasal »

I don't have a spare cable to lend you but this info may be of use...
See http://www.dmcricambi.com/catalogo/5SAGHCKM.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then on page 2 of 19 it says for BX
"BX all lato strumento-instrument side 86- 620 95638113 J+H 11.411"
See that the end fittings listed for the cable are J & H ( Be careful on the length of 620mm - could be lhd or rhd)
The go to page 17 of 19 to see what a H & J end-fittings look like.
hope this helps! You can see from the document, which other cars have speedo cables with similar end fittings like a renault 14, a cx, ax & a fiat scudo 242 - whatever that is! :-).
Steve
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Thank you Steve
this is interesting. I may ask the speedy cables people if they are happy with this information+ my incomplete cable to make a new one, but it may still be better to just send them a complete sample cable.
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

As there were different length top speedo cables for the different engine / gearbox combos I take it this new one piece cable is just going to fit the 16 petrol BX?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Probably, but at least the 1.6 petrol bx's would be sorted with just one sample sent.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I used a 16v speedo cable on my 1.9D, so some interchangeability is possible.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

It was a strange plan for the French to use 2 cables where one would do in the first place. :? Although we put the reason down to an add-on for RHD, it still must have been twice the component cost of using one longer one?
Unless.....the durability/reliability of the inner was better in a shorter cable maybe? :?:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

I think that the cluster end is the same cable for all mk2 bx's but the gearbox end is more sepcific to the type of gearbox .... I may be dreaming of course.
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

I don't think my mechanic (usually very trusted) got the reason why I wanted the cable out. He only took out the top bit and the end bit is still missing. He told me that the bottom bit is ok but really as mine is an automatic I should have that one too.
On my photo I just added the spare one I got from someone some time ago, but now I think I should get the original off my car. I have seen the top end of it but I don't know how to get it out.
I may need another trip to the garage.