FDV overhaul - diagram and filters.

BX Tech talk
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

FDV overhaul - diagram and filters.

Post by tim »

I'm overhauling the FDV off the scrappy to go onto the White One (heavy steering etc) and using the FAQ post it's come apart OK. However, both the filters came out with a rush and they are tabbed at one end only - so which way round do they go back in? There is a link to a diagram but unfortunately the link only takes you to the homepage and I can't find a way to get to the diagram (though on the link on p3 of the FAQ one of the photos has the diagram lying on the guy's workbench - not QUITE clear enough to see it even blown up to max....)
JayW
1K Away

Re: FDV overhaul - diagram and filters.

Post by JayW »

I have zero patience for your tedium.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

That's handy. I've got a spare FDV for the TXD (which has occasionally heavy steering as well as a leak from the one fitted). I'm guessing I should overhaul the replacement before it goes on. It is a second-hand unit.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

"Overhauling" is pretty much limited to cleaning the filters as there's not much else that can go wrong with them. In the experience with the one above, it was only leaking as the filters were blocked and backing the pressure up, once cleaned it stopped leaking.

Other ones i've done have had disintegrated filter gauze, not sure if you can still get them?

As a footnote, the little "washer" in the picture with the tiny hole in the middle MUST go back in the right wa round! (the hole is conical).
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Cool. I might as well have a play then.
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

Cool, thanks for that. Although the image is a bit grainy it looks as if the tabs go on the outside, which was my assumption. Jay, filters come with the overhaul kit. The scrappy one was in fact perfectly OK but I had no means of knowing this..... the French stripdown guide talks about removing the restrictor, others say 'don't bother, can give you problems' and because of that I haven't, especially as it's all very clean inside. So everything is clean now and painted with fluid to stop things rusting until I can assemble it. Two points, the circlips were indeed a bitch to get out, and I've done quite a few of that type before; problem is that the cap beneath is chamfered so when you pop off one section of circlip it promptly drops down below the groove and sits in the chamfer where you can't get a grip on it - and when you do it pops back into the groove again. The other is that the ultra-thin single hole washer .It wouldn't fall out, being glued in by LHM. It took a good flush with petrol to get it out. I can see it being lost in a bowl of solvent or blown across the room with an airline if you weren't looking for it every step of the way....
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

here is price and part No. for the overhaul kit but is says NFP

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
95669034 BALL JOINT KIT 24.92 GBP 29.90 GBP 29.90 GBP

or you could just buy a new FDV

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
0000402400 DISTRIBUTOR 696.89 GBP 836.27 GBP 836.27 GBP

this still shows as stocked

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I also have one of these to overhaul.

If the kit is NFP, how much of the kit is made up from seals etc. that are readily available?
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!