heater

BX Tech talk
barry badger
BXpert

heater

Post by barry badger »

I'm currently carrying out many repairs to one of my tzds, one problem is the heater only used to work if i thumped the dash above the glovebox and then it would only work slowly. I've replaced the blower motor and resistor with a known good one and also the control panel but there is no difference. Where do i look next? is there a relay or a connector block that is known to cause problems?
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1992 tzd estate, slowly being raided for parts
1992 txd estate, "doom blue" on the road
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
mat_fenwick

Re: heater

Post by mat_fenwick »

When you say you've replaced the resistor what have you actually replaced? As there isn't the usual resistor pack on Mk2 BXs. There is a thread in the Tech FAQ which may shed some light, but in a nutshell try running a temporary good earth to terminal 3 (middle of 5) on the control panel - see if that improves things.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

I've connected an earth as you suggested and the blower works perfectly. Can i connect this permanently? Where does the original wire get its earth from?
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Yes you can connect it permanently, we haven't found out where the original goes yet ot why the lamp earth needs to be seperate fron the motor earth.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Did this with my N/A diesel a couple of years ago [thanks Tim] and she is still a blowing so just enjoy the fact its working and dont complicate things by asking why!!

Andy
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

Thanks everyone for the info, that's one more job i can cross off the list. Apart from an abs fault which i might have to come back to in the future that completes the list of mechanical repairs. There is still tons of welding to do though, i'll try and post some pictures if i can figure out how to.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

barry badger wrote:Thanks everyone for the info, that's one more job i can cross off the list. Apart from an abs fault which i might have to come back to in the future that completes the list of mechanical repairs. There is still tons of welding to do though, i'll try and post some pictures if i can figure out how to.
Firstly you need to open up a PHOTO-BUCKET account (or similar hosting site, if you don't have one already ) ?
Then read/follow the instructions in THIS thread :wink: