out from under my rock--starter woes

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

out from under my rock--starter woes

Post by B-Hive »

As over the last few months life threw up several challenges (on going I might add) I found a nice little rock under which to hide...

Surfacing, syncronised with summer, I retrieved the Mk1 TRS from her storage..(She really is so nearly "mint" in so many ways :D )

Grumpy to turn over, I swapped out the battery but with no joy...it appears that the starter was well stressed from its ordeal when I originally collected the car..

Not a click..click...but an extremely (almost non existent) operation/turning of the starter..I'm talking about 5 degrees max..and accompanied also a laborious grinding sound..
With every try though, I got more and more movement (only just) out of the starter...then a sudden and exponential response ...and bang she starts...and no subsequent problems.. as she then started first kick each and every time I tried. (I wanted to be sure that in traffic if she stalled I could restart her!!)

So yes..not a tech post 'cos I'm certain that the SM will require a freshen up....easy enough...but interested to see if anyone has had similar starter issues...

Also finally I have a new cambelt tensioner bearing AND assembly on its way to Mat F...(sent him a PM but message remains in my outbox for some stoopid reason)

Anyway hope your all doing well...
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
B-Hive
BXpert

Re: out from under my rock--starter woes

Post by B-Hive »

Fixed ..yay!!

These starters are really very easy to extract and return..

Pulled starter out, cleaned up the solenoid, and greased where ever was appropriate, and now shes spins like new,,

It is a Paris-Rhone type and now good for another 26 years...
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed