Starter motors should start cars?

BX Tech talk
Wooscary
BXpert

Re: Starter motors should start cars?

Post by Wooscary »

I've had a fiddle with that connector. It is completely drenched in oily muck (unlike the rest of the engine bay which is of course spotless...) Gave it as best a clean as I could and plugged it back in. Wouldn't start. Gave starter motor a tap, started, but a bit hesitant. I'm going to take the spade connector off and properly clean it up and then see about getting the rocker gasket sorted once and for all. And the water leak. And...

Hopefully not the battery, it is only a few months old and there is no dimming of dash lights etc when turning the key a few times.

Cheers for the thoughts everyone.
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

I hate to sound paranoid but at least I got a few lines of investigation from this post for my posted issue http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
f=2&t=17289

yeah not too dis-similar posts I wouldn't have thought.. Has this got something to do with the cricket??

anyway thanks by proxy guys...

oh quick dig...... it's 32 degrees C here today...erm think I'll have a refreshing G and T and have a quick dip in the pool...then tinker on the cars till about 8 when the sun goes down!!
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
twistedeez

Post by twistedeez »

I recently had a similar problem. Twice in fact. First time turned out to be worn brushes. Plus a screw on the end came loose. This combination caused the brushes to slip out of the housing and jam up the whole thing. New ones went in and all was well for a while. Then the same motor became sluggish and eventually wouldn't go at all. What now? Turned out to be from crankcase oil seal leak. It had taken me a while to muster up the nerve to tackle that job and in the meantime the starter filled with oil. This time it was a quick swap for another. I access the starter through the air intake system. Take of inlet hoses and the butterfly housing and there is just enough room to squeeze out the starter. (fuel injection 8 valve) Good news - I now have a brand new clutch. Bad news - my wallet is in rehab.
1976 CX Pallas 2200
1989 BX 19 TRI 122
Australia
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Wooscary wrote:I've had a fiddle with that connector. It is completely drenched in oily muck (unlike the rest of the engine bay which is of course spotless...) Gave it as best a clean as I could and plugged it back in. Wouldn't start. Gave starter motor a tap, started, but a bit hesitant. I'm going to take the spade connector off and properly clean it up and then see about getting the rocker gasket sorted once and for all. And the water leak. And...

Hopefully not the battery, it is only a few months old and there is no dimming of dash lights etc when turning the key a few times.

Cheers for the thoughts everyone.
did you get this sorted Martin

if bashing the motor gets it going this is 9 out of 10 times down to starter motor brush's, either worn out, just sticking or both

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

I did get it sorted out Malcolm, cheers.

It got to the point where no amount of bashing would get it going. As has been
said probably just needed a refurb, but as I was going to have to pay someone
to do that, and then refit it, I just got a new one fitted, and in the process
discovered a really good (so far, on a long enough timeline who knows?) local garage.