rear window heating - where's me power?

BX Tech talk
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

rear window heating - where's me power?

Post by tim »

Winter's here again and reminds of all the jobs we should have done when it was warm and sunny. The Red One has no power to the rear window element; it should have 12V and has nowt though the meter does move off the stop a tad, suggesting something there. Also, the switch on the console has no light. Firstly, any ideas on where the fault is likely to be? The lack of a light suggests a lack of power to the switch. And how exactly do you remove the console switch? They all seem to have two plastic dogs to hold them in place, but how to unlock them? When we stripped the scrappy I tried the 'obvious' of slipping a thin screwdriver down between switch and case, but this simply cracked the flimsy switch case without disengaging the dogs. Maybe thin pieces of metal sheet?
There is power to the fuse so something has gone amiss beyond that. Getting the switch out to check if there is anything getting to it is the first item, I guess, so removal technique appreciated.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: rear window heating - where's me power?

Post by citsncycles »

The switch light has 2 feeds, as it comes on dimly with the sidelights. If it doesn't come on at all it may just be the bulb.

I do remember prizing one of these out, but can't remember exactly how.

Another thing to check is the wiring into the tailgate - the supply goes in through the LH side, and can eventually crack
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've always just used a thin screwdriver, but it helps to remove the upper switch first (can't remember if the HRW switch is top or bottom). Make sure you don't prise against the moveable section of the switch but poke deeper onto the switch body itself.

If there is some voltage reading at the HRW it may suggest that the switch/relay is OK but you have a voltage drop under load. Unplug one of the connectors from the HRW and see if the voltage goes up to close to 12V when not under load.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

The feed wire itself is OK, as far as I can actually see, otherwise I'd simply splice in a new section. When we stripped the scrappy I took particular note of where the wire goes - up through the tailgate into the roof, the over the doors and down the front pillar. If it comes to it I could replace the whole length but in my experience 90% of wiring problems are based either on a switch or the actual connector so I'm hoping to be able to pin it down once the switch is out....Mat. the upper switch has the same fixings as the heater switch so I'm just as likely to break that aren't I? We've got the scrappy console in Andy's shed so I'll experiment and let you know.