rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

bx tzd turbo engine shuddering

Post by rutter123 »

just recently over the last 1000 miles or so the engine in my 90 tzdt seems to shake/shudder when taking up drive/pulling away, moreso at about 1200rpm but not really noticeable over 1500rpm, current mileage is 266k and a new valeo clutch was fitted at 250k (3rd clutch,skimmed flywheel) along with new bottom engine mount, new gearbox mount and new buffers on top engine mount, top engine mount was changed at 220k. i have had the car up on the ramps today and all the mounts are good and dry with no signs of fatigue/free movement even under leverage, the engine seems solid enough in the mounts with no excessive free movement , i have also swapped the top engine mount and buffers over today for ones that i know are 100% good, but has made no difference, the bottom engine mount is set in the correct position and the engine idles smoothly at 900rpm, performance and handling are unaffected, any ideas as this is my daily driver, thanx to all for help on number plate lamps as they are now working,
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: bx tzd turbo engine shuddering

Post by citsncycles »

Check the driveshaft inner joints, they can cause these symptoms
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

As can a contaminated clutch.

With a torch you should just be able to see through the opening in the gearbox/engine flange on the top of the box to see if there's any evidence of oil leaks. Alternatively unbolt the bottom cover for a better view.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

Sounds like the clutch is juddering, i have found valeo to be prone to this in some applications. I fitted one to a friends 19rd some years ago and it was always a bit juddery when taking up the drive at low revs. About four years or so after i fitted the clutch she gave me the car, so because it was now mine i tried to improve the clutch, i pulled away from a standing start several times in fourth gear using full revs, the judder was gone. I ran this car for 18 months and had to repeat this twice when i felt the judder starting to return. This isn't the only valeo clutch i've had that juddered so now i try to avoid valeo whenever i can.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1992 tzd estate, slowly being raided for parts
1992 txd estate, "doom blue" on the road
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello rutter123, how do you drive the car? No I am not being cheeky or anything but I have found that non asbestos clutch linings if used with minimum slipping tend to glaze up and can judder to the point of being vicious. One 'cure' is to slip them to the point of smelling to De-glaze the linings.
Sounds a bad thing to do but with some clutches it is the only thing that works, F++ds went through a bad patch with transit clutches doing the same thing.
Sorry no responsibility for a shot clutch if doing the above but just my experience.
G.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

Geoffrey Gould wrote:Hello rutter123, how do you drive the car? No I am not being cheeky or anything but I have found that non asbestos clutch linings if used with minimum slipping tend to glaze up and can judder to the point of being vicious. One 'cure' is to slip them to the point of smelling to De-glaze the linings.
Sounds a bad thing to do but with some clutches it is the only thing that works, F++ds went through a bad patch with transit clutches doing the same thing.
Sorry no responsibility for a shot clutch if doing the above but just my experience.
G.
the car is not driven like a taxi, it does get taken to the redline and often "a good blast" along the m4, i wouldnt say the clutch has an easy life but also not abused, i have noticed today that pulling away in 2nd gear seems to rid the prob tho not good practise, i will try the home skimming of the clutch later, but only after i have checked the gearbox mount as on closer inspection it seems to have excess movement,
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

JayW wrote:As can a contaminated clutch.

With a torch you should just be able to see through the opening in the gearbox/engine flange on the top of the box to see if there's any evidence of oil leaks. Alternatively unbolt the bottom cover for a better view.
have done this all seems dry no signs of oil under the cover plate and nothing obvious thru top flange, i suspect something is amiss around the gearbox mount as it has excess movement under closer inspection.