Another Cooling System Question

BX Tech talk
JayW
1K Away

Re: Another Cooling System Question

Post by JayW »

Over the years i've bought (and returned in some cases) water pumps with Plastic, Alloy & Steel impellers. Many years ago i replaced a water pump on a Fiat Panda which had a steel impeller, I use "had" in the context that it once existed but when i changed the pump the impeller accounted for 99% of the black silt in the system!
I have zero patience for your tedium.
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

Surely if the impeller is adrift the car would be overheating. Assuming the overheating warning system is functioning my moneys on the head gasket.
As an afterthought have you tried another rad cap and checked its sealing surface on the radiator?
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1992 tzd estate, slowly being raided for parts
1992 txd estate, "doom blue" on the road
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

barry badger wrote:Surely if the impeller is adrift the car would be overheating.
Locally, almost certainly yes. But with little or no circulation, the overheated coolant may not reach the warning lamp sensor. I too have come across a steel impeller which had disintegrated to nothing, but I suspect that was down to lack of antifreeze and hence corrosion inhibitors.

You could probably check for circulation by checking how quickly the radiator warms up after the thermostat opens.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the auto choke will not work if the coolant level is below a certain point, as the coolant cant get up into the pipes going to the auto choke wax stat, the first point to check is both the hoses to and from the auto choke are getting warm/hot,the other cause of the auto choke not operating is corrosion/fur build up in the spouts of the wax stat housing

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

It appears the water pump is at fault but who knows if that damage may have resulted in other damage inside the engine until I fix it.

Check done was basically with the rad cap off the water is not circulating/bubbling just expanding out of the radiator. Combined witht he carbie problem which I had forgooten over the last couple of years has resulted on a stuttering on hard /medium cornering under load. Increased Fuel consumption and the high unadjustable idle. My decision has been to decommission (the best least drastic description) this car after 6 years ownership and 60,000kms of driving it.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91