Sunroof won't slide and heater ..doesn't

BX Tech talk
beckyrachel

Sunroof won't slide and heater ..doesn't

Post by beckyrachel »

I took the heater blower out and cleaned up the bushes, it now runs fairly well.
However it doesn't run in the car - I'm seeing 11.9V at the positive wire, but only with respect to battery earth - the negative wire (even though it has a link to earth) isn't showing a 12V difference with the positive wire - Mad I know, but there it is.
I had the transistor unit out of it, I was seeing what I expected to see across the transistor, but something is wrong. Not had the turny dial PCB out yet to see how manky that is - the mod will be done and hopefully I'll at least get something out of it.

I cleaned up the radiator thermoswitch connections, I now have a working rad fan - although it seems fairly slow. Further investigation needed there I think.

Inside, it's been leaking. Looks like it was the aerial, someone had tried to prise it off.
I took it off, cleaned it all up, sealed it and stuck it back on. Fingers crossed!

Sunroof...
It now lifts up, although it's weak. I've cleaned and greased that part of the mechanism.
When I try to slide it, it lowers and slides back about 1/2 inch then stops. No amount of gentle movement of frame, glass or anything else can persuade it to move back more than that 1/2 inch. Any suggestions for next step?

Anyway - it's getting there - slowly.
mat_fenwick

Re: Sunroof won't slide and heater ..doesn't

Post by mat_fenwick »

The positive side to the motor remains at 12 V via fuse 2, but it's the earth that's controlled via the transistor and dial. You should see a good earth at terminal 2 on the transistor module plug, and also at terminal 2 (for the illumination) and 3 (control circuit) on the dial PCB. It seems common for the earth on terminal 3 to develop a high resistance, so the quick fix is to link it to the earth on 2 for the illumination.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

In terms of the sunroof, where is the sunroof blind? If its slid too far back into the head lining then the glass bit might well be jamming against it, and hence stopping after an inch.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

mat_fenwick wrote: It seems common for the earth on terminal 3 to develop a high resistance, so the quick fix is to link it to the earth on 1 for the illumination.
I thought it was no.2 to no.3 the lamp earth (if counting from the right facing forward (3&4 if counting from the left)?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You're right, Kevan, thanks. I've edited my initial post now. I couldn't remember whether is was 2 or 4 for the illumination earth (numbered as the plug moulding) so I checked with Haynes which stated it was 1 :roll: Maybe I should trust my memory more!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I cleaned up the radiator thermoswitch connections, I now have a working rad fan - although it seems fairly slow. Further investigation needed there I think.
If you follow the wiring from the thermoswitch to the fan, if it takes the same route as mine, you'll find it goes via a couple of connectors in the area of the nearside headlamp - these tend to corrode as much as the thermoswitch connections and could probably do with a clean.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
beckyrachel

Post by beckyrachel »

sunroof - AH - I'd forgotten about the sliding cover. I can't see one, so that suggests it's inside.

I'll trace back the rad fan wiring now I know there's connectors - ta

2 to 3 - gottit. I'll try earthing the fan directly to confirm sufficient feed current first.

Not feeling well, so nothing much done today.

Many thanks for the info!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The radiator fan may be wired via a two stage thermal switch and resistor. This limits the current flowing through the switch contacts when first starting up, and only comes on full speed if engine temperature continues to rise. I've not owned a petrol BX, but the Peugeot 205s we've owned with the same engine have that arrangement.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad