No courtesy

BX Tech talk
TizzyD
BXpert

No courtesy

Post by TizzyD »

The courtesy lights are playing up on the aubergine, if I unlock the car, open the door or shut it I get nothing regardless of which door I open, but if I turn sidelights on and then off with the door open then shut it, they come on but if I open the door they go off again, am I going mad ?

The only thing I've done today was unplug the plip receiver for 5 minutes and then reconnect it but I can't see what that would do unless I've plugged it back in the wrong way but then the plips wouldn't work which they do at the moment.

Anyone got any ideas ?
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Re: No courtesy

Post by Vanny »

Bitron unit behind the dash board maybe, these control the delayed response after you close the door, only fitted to top end models, not sure if yours would have one though?
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Just been out to check the plip receiver and there is no physical way to plug it in wrong so it can't be that, all fuses are fine and I've searched the forum for this "Bitron" box (never heard of it before) and there seem to be some confusion as to whether or not the BX was ever fitted with them http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1531" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :-k

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Bitron is just a manufacturer of electronic components, and I'm sure I've seen it moulded into the casing of parts on the BX. The bit Vanny is talking about (Citroen may have had a range of suppliers depending on date, stock levels or who was cheapest) is accessed by removing the glovebox and looking between it and the heater panel. The ones I've seen are black with a flat 6 or 7 way connector connecting to them.

Haynes shows the headlights(!) as sharing the earthing point with that for the delay unit (on the steering column) but that seems difficult to believe. If that was the case, and there was a poor connection, the voltage of the earthing point could be raised to more than 0 V, perhaps giving strange symptoms. Seems like clutching at straws though :(

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I'm gonna keep calling it a Bitron unit, knowing full well that what they refer to on the Xantia as a bitron unit is something completely different.

It is physically screwed into the back of the IP/Dash , just above and to the right of the glove box aperture. It also has a feed from the central locking system (could be the central locking relay or the roof plip receiver, im not sure) which is what made me think it could be at fault.

Mat, that earthing point, is that not the massive spider union thing with a yellow and brown plug down the side of the column? I'm pretty sure the electrics in my house are earthed through there, given that half the looms on the BX run that way its possible!
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Here is a quick vid of what I've tried to describe, I unlock it, nothing, turn sidelights on it beeps, turn them off, shut the door and they come on and then go off when I lock it. Would I be able to see anything looking through the clock tray or do I have to take the glovebox out ?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Hmmm - strange symptoms indeed. The fact that things change when you operate the sidelights suggests to me a corroded connection that is 'improved' when additional current is passed through it. So my suggestion is a poor one - to fiddle with the connections in that area - this will have the effect of cleaning the connections to an extent.

The coutesy lamps should have 7w frosted bulbs fitted - not that common these days but the housing is very marginal and fitting 10w bulbs can melt the plastic lens if they are left on for a while.

These be good...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ring-R237-12v ... 1450wt_872
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

My TXD has similar symptoms, the courtesy lights work nearly all the time with the rear doors, but rarely with the front doors, the lights on door open buzzer is temperamental and sometimes only one of the headlights comes on. But if you turn headlights on and off, the two usually come on. Also sometimes opening and closing the front doors will make the courtesy lights come on.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Tom that sounds like a different set of problems to me.

The head light issue will be dirty contacts in the switch/stalk, replace the stalk or dismantle and clean the contacts. I assume it is always the same side that fails to come on?

The front door not triggering the courtesy lights is the classic of corrosion on the mating surface of the switch. Look in the front of the door shut, between the hinges and there will be a plunger type switch held in with one screw. Take it out (being careful not to pull off the wires as you draw it out), push the plunger in and clean the two faces that part as you press the plunger.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

saintjamesy89 wrote:lights on door open buzzer
I don't think you have the same problem, but I wonder whether the warning sounder is to blame for the OP's problem? It's a link between the two circuits. The wiring layout for the buzzer itself isn't shown on any diagram I have, but the reason the courtesy lights come on with the sidelights could be due to this, even if it's not the cause of the fault. I think it's just a relay with a sounder in the case, but can't check how it's wired at present.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Right, just checked on it today and now I can't reproduce the effect in the video, i.e. turning sidelight on and off then shutting the door doesn't do anything now, oddly the drivers side light still works if i toggle it to always on but the passenger side does nothing regardless of switch position.