Rear seat removal.

BX Tech talk
Mothman

Rear seat removal.

Post by Mothman »

I have just replaced all of Mollie's seats with a leather set which i aquired from Tim, she looks very good but have one small problem.
The last 2 bits, the side panels on the rear seats are proving a tad difficult. I cant get at the nut which is holding them on. I have tried to remove the side panel but this seems to be held by the top of the seatbelt and or the side/roof trim. Tried to remove this but it too wont budge and i dont want to force anything for fear causing damage. Any ideas?

Andy
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: Rear seat removal.

Post by Kitch »

If you look in the end of the cubbys on either side of the boot (or feel as you can't see!) there's a metal bulkhead at either forward end. There's a small hole in it (if they've never been taken out before it'll be covered with tape) through which you can put a long extension bar with a 10mm socket on the end to reach the securing nut on the rear of the cushion. Undo the nut and remove it. Then pull the top forward, twist the whole assembly out towards the door and lift up (the bottom is secured with a peg that locks into the bodywork).

Takes a while to work out the first time, then it's a 30sec job every time after.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Thanks very much for that bud, you have been a great help, ile go and sort it now.

Andy
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Just been and look at Mollie and the scrapper and i cannot find a small hole and so i cannot do as you suggest Kitch.
There is a nut but this attaches to the rear seat belt mounting.
So, my question is, how do i remove the trim without breaking anything? It just wont come out. I can force it so that i can get my fingers around the nut holding the squab on but dont think i will be able to get a socket in there.
Andy
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

I just took out the interior of one BX to put into another and I understand precisely what your problem is I think!

Theres a 10mm nut hidden behind the black panels where the seatbelt coil is mounted. You need to undo thatand pull slightly to the side out of the groove you can see then slide the squab up of the peg thats holding in at the base.

If you can give us 36hours I can post some photos on facebook for you! Afraid can not do it earlier as its midnight nere and I got a long drive on tommorrow.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

That would be fine bud,
too damned cold to work on her at the moment.

Andy
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

:D Get out there and get it done you big woosy
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Nuts!!

Been outside enough today sawing logs. Anyway, ime frightened of all the snowflakes.

A
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

We haven't got any snow yet bud which is just as well as we are having our windows replaced tomorrow and our heating packed up on Friday plus 4 of the family have got noro virus
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

No shit!!

You could try rubbing 2 sticks together, at least it would take your mind off it all.

Andy
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Mothman wrote:No shit!!
On the contrary theres plenty of that lol
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

IIRC, you don't have to remove the nut. Just loosening it enables you to twist it and remove it. Removing the side trim isn't hard - the big clips down the bottom and a tiny screw that's easy to miss near the seat belt. I know it looks like the belt goes through the trim but there's a gap on the inner edge which you can't really see when the trim is in place.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Finally sorted the side squabs on Mollie, now looks very smart. Once the small screws were removed by the seat belt trim holder it was quite easy.
However on lifting the carpet i came across a rust hole above the rear exhaust hanger which Malcolm will have to have a go at when he repipes her. Not a big hole but will neeed doing. Gloria had exactly the same problem in the same place.

Andy