Closing sunroof

BX Tech talk
kieran.l
BXpert

Closing sunroof

Post by kieran.l »

Is it possible to close an electric sunroof without any electrics? Is there a gear that can be turned manually?

I'm buying a 93 TZD turbo that has been sitting and not started for at least 8 yrs. Its been covered but when I went to look at it I noticed that the sunroof is nearly closed, but not fully because it hasn't sat back up into the roof properly from its slide position with the back of it still down. I'm slightly worried that if its raining the day that the recovery truck collects it water will get in! PS I'll post pics when it arrives.
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
2018 Peugeot 3008 1.5 BlueHDi EAT8
mat_fenwick

Re: Closing sunroof

Post by mat_fenwick »

Yup, 5(?) mm allen key behind the flap between the map lights. There should be a supplied handle that fits it, behind the same cover. It'd be worth trying to start it I think, as it would make recovery easier if it will lift.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I couldn't get the last I tried to close with the allen key, but I know that's the intention.

I wouldn't worry. What will have happened is that someone who doesn't know the cars has tried to close the sunroof not realising that it travels up a bit before coming to a stop. It doesn't automatically start opening to a tilt as they assume (my missus' does it!) so they release the button before it's properly parked.
Not a lot of water would get through that sort of gap, and the sunroof doesn't seal shut anyway....water is designed to leak past it and into the drainage train which then gets rid of it down the drainage tubes.

Now if they're blocked..... :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Like Kitch, I've tried the manual approach without success. As he says, any water that does get in should in theory head down the drain tubes. The roof was never designed to be entirely water tight.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Ah, the only time I've played with the manual handle was back in 1991, when the BX in question was only 3 years old...
Dollywobbler wrote:The roof was never designed to be entirely water tight.
It sometimes feels that applies to the non-sunroof models too!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

As they used to say about the 1970's Fords; The water leak is not an optional extra! :lol:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
kieran.l
BXpert

Post by kieran.l »

Thanks guys, I'll try the allen key and failing that I'll take my chances!
mat_fenwick wrote:It'd be worth trying to start it I think, as it would make recovery easier if it will lift.
Not much chance of rising Mat, the octopus is damaged, the battery is dead, hasn't been started in a long time (possibly other unknown things wrong too) so fingers crossed for the recovery :lol: Although the engine is still turning but we were jumping it off a battery.
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Good luck with the restoration bud.

Andy
smiffy1071
pies are evil!

Post by smiffy1071 »

Gentlemen, you've forgotten something.... After you pull the flap, you will see a stainless steel lever, about 3 inches long. you have to turn this to release the electric motor from the winding mechanism, then insert the little winding handle into the (yellow gear???) then you can wind it either way to open or close.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

There you go. That's what I get for never owning a BX with a handbook!
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

To close the roof manually using an allen key, the motor must be first disengaged from the drive. This is done by releasing the lock lever (from memory it needs to go clockwise once lifted from its locked position groove. If this is not released it is not possible to move the roof manually.

edit ...sorry just saw smiffies post :oops:
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
kieran.l
BXpert

Post by kieran.l »

Thanks for the help. Hopefully collecting the car tomorrow :) Will let ye know how I get on.
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

kieran.l wrote: Not much chance of rising Mat, the octopus is damaged, the battery is dead, hasn't been started in a long time (possibly other unknown things wrong too) so fingers crossed for the recovery :lol: Although the engine is still turning but we were jumping it off a battery.

The car will rise with hardly any leakage from a damaged octopus when put in "high" so long as the system is otherwise good ie the piston seals in the struts are not ruptured. Don't put it back in "normal" though or it will leak when the height correctors move.

If you then turn the engine over on a good battery you should be able to pump it up (more easily with the glow plugs removed perhaps) and it will remain up.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Dollywobbler wrote:There you go. That's what I get for never owning a BX with a handbook!
Or me for never reading it!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
kieran.l
BXpert

Post by kieran.l »

Advice was perfect, have now closed the sunroof, but after 7 years of no use a fair bit of pressure had to be put on the allen key! :lol:
Kieran

1984 BX 19RD