1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

TXD Turbo running temp

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Hi folks, had a bit of a scare today, was just pootling along and glanced at the cd player and noticed the after market temp gauge was off the scale at 120 degrees plus! Not to say I had a massive panic! I pulled over and checked stuff, oil was black with no creamy-ness, engine didn't feel too hot, no blackness could I see in the water (admittedly through the murky, brownish expansion bottle). So I wiggled a few wires that looked like they had something to do with the temp gauge and it went down to 80, and didn't budge from there. No warning lights/lights of impending doom came on and the fan wasn't on.

Usually it never goes above 60 on the gauge, but now it goes off the scale when you start the engine and at some point flicks back to 80 (was trying this with a hot engine, yet to see what it does from cold). So I was just wondering what temp it should be running at? I'll be keeping a close eye on it from now, and i'll check the coolant level/appearance in the morning.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: TXD Turbo running temp

Post by citsncycles »

80 doesn't sound too bad to me - should be able to stand getting a bit higher than that before casuing a problem.

Sounds like you've either got a wire shorting out, or the sender may be breaking down. If I understand it correctly, these electrical gauges work by the temperature affecting the resistance of the sender, which is inaccurately named as it is actually part of the earthing system. Check the wires first - as they've been added they could be rubbing against something.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

80 is about right, about 90 and the fans should be running.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

As a precaution Tom I would get the system flushed and new antifreeze anyway love (first thing I do when I get a new car along with a cambelt), the weathers still very cold and if it freezes up it will spell disaster!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....