Rubber front strut return pipe availablity

BX Tech talk
Turbo Killer
BXpert

Rubber front strut return pipe availablity

Post by Turbo Killer »

I put the 1.7 in for its MOT yesterday and it failed on weeping NSF return pipe and low effort on the same side caliper, oil contamination and very low pads probably didn't help :) It turns out both rubber return pipes had perished and dropped off, I've bodged it up with some rubber fuel hose and zip ties for now to get it through its MOT and replaced the pads, my question is; are the pipes still available from Citroen or anywhere else or even pipes from another model may fit?
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: Rubber front strut return pipe availablity

Post by citsncycles »

I assume it's the strut returns - if so then yes, readily available, including from Citroen.

I'd go to Citroen or AEP for them, some of the cheaper replacements will only last a few months.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

If you've got very low pads on one side, I'd suspect a seized caliper. Brake wear should be even. You might get away with a strip and copper-grease of the sliders and making sure the pads are moving properly, or you might find that the slider boots have ripped, allowing the sliders to seize. If you whip the pads out and you can't move the caliper back and forth, it's knackered.

I'd also second AEP for pipes.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

citsncycles wrote:I assume it's the strut returns - if so then yes, readily available, including from Citroën.

I'd go to Citroën or AEP for them, some of the cheaper replacements will only last a few months.
That's why its best not to even bother with new ones from any supplier as there all tend to be $hite now days !
Best to go the modification route and much cheaper too !

As this subject seems to be raised time and time again and folks cannot find previous threads or can't be bothered to look ?

IMHO the two threads (below) should be moved into in the F.A.Q. 'Technical section' !

Here are the links to the threads :- STRUT-RETURN PIPE and LEAK,BOTTOM of FRONT STRUT !

So hopefully the threads /\ are actually moved into the 'BX Technical F.A.Q. & Modifications' as this reoccurring problem/question qualifies on both counts for this part of the forums title/section !

:)

Turbo Killer
BXpert

Post by Turbo Killer »

Thanks for all the tips, really helpfull!

The pistons wound back OK and the calipers slide OK to. I'll give the copper pipe and silicone mod a go, i have some silicone tube somewhere.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

From my experience /\ that mod is a waste of time on the later return pipes without the wider one way valve housing and probably so on old pipes full stop as they just snap off again below your new joint, Genuine new Citroen ones are the way to go if you dont want to be constantly repairing the returns.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Turbo Killer
BXpert

Post by Turbo Killer »

The rubber strut attachment part in the above pic does look different to what is on my car.
Is this the correct Citroen part number for the return pipe assembly 95 591 142 ?
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Defender110 wrote:From my experience /\ that mod is a waste of time on the later return pipes without the wider one way valve housing and probably so on old pipes full stop as they just snap off again below your new joint, Genuine new Citroën ones are the way to go if you dont want to be constantly repairing the returns.
Kevan, that /\ (In Red) doesn't make any sense :?
Unless you meant , when the suspension strut/leg is in the 'fully up or down position' then that would make sense (as it could fail) if your not making the repair mod. back to the 'Beefed up' rubber moulding as in the Photo /\ , where its showing the Copper connecting pipes !
Turbo Killer wrote:The rubber strut attachment part in the above pic does look different to what is on my car.
Is this the correct Citroën part number for the return pipe assembly 95 591 142 ?
Here's the LINK to AEP , supposedly O/E if your going down that route ?

Last edited by RxBX on Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

If you were to modify a new pipe you may get away with it but trying to modify any old worn out pipe IMHO is futile as the rubber has passed its best.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Turbo Killer
BXpert

Post by Turbo Killer »

Thanks for the link, aep want £7.80 for delivery, i was going to try my local Citroen dealer and hopefully save a few quid.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Defender110 wrote:From my experience /\ that mod is a waste of time on the later return pipes without the wider one way valve housing and probably so on old pipes full stop as they just snap off again below your new joint, Genuine new Citroën ones are the way to go if you dont want to be constantly repairing the returns.
I agree. The GSF ones barely last from one MOT to the next and the rubber seems to become porous in its entireity besides the obvious cracks that develop.

Looks like that AEP price is the same as from the main dealer who I buy from now, due to learning my lesson on the GSF ones, so no need to be caught for that level of extra on the postage.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Turbo Killer
BXpert

Post by Turbo Killer »

Is this the correct Citroen part number 95 591 142 ?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

RxBX wrote:So hopefully the threads /\ are actually moved into the 'BX Technical F.A.Q. & Modifications'
Good point - I've moved the first one as that contains a link to the second if people require (even) more information!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad