Air in fuel on The Estate?

BX Tech talk
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: Air in fuel on The Estate?

Post by Kitch »

All good advice chaps, thanks.

Does the diesel pump just syphon fuel from the bottom of the tank then?
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Original steel fuel lines are about £15 each from Ebay - I've just bought a pair for Timex, which (snow permitting) I'll be fitting next week.

When I was working on it in September I found that the rubber fuel lines, which looked fine under the bonnet, were badly cracked where they met the steel lines under the bulkhead.

I also fitted a priming bulb despite the primer on the filter being OK, on the basis that if I touched the original primer it may fail.

Finally, some later diesels have a pre heater pipe that runs across the exhaust manifold - these are known to rust through, but can be bypassed with rubber pipe.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Kitch wrote:All good advice chaps, thanks.

Does the diesel pump just syphon fuel from the bottom of the tank then?
Yes, there is no other electric/mechanical pump
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

citsncycles wrote: Finally, some later diesels have a pre heater pipe that runs across the exhaust manifold - these are known to rust through, but can be bypassed with rubber pipe.
not seen one of those, what sort of year have you seen then from,

the only fuel heaters i have seen on diesel BX's are the cigar shaped electric fuel heater fitted between the primmer and the fuel line coming up the back of the engine, this type do go porous and take air in,

the other type is with the fuel filter fitted to the thermostat housing and the fuel runs through a snail track under the filter

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

citronut wrote:
citsncycles wrote: Finally, some later diesels have a pre heater pipe that runs across the exhaust manifold - these are known to rust through, but can be bypassed with rubber pipe.

the only fuel heaters i have seen on diesel BX's are the cigar shaped electric fuel heater fitted between the primmer and the fuel line coming up the back of the engine, this type do go porous and take air in,

the other type is with the fuel filter fitted to the thermostat housing and the fuel runs through a snail track under the filter

regards malcolm
I've not either. Neither have I seen the cigar ones you mention! Seen the ones down low on the back of the block, they often go porous too.
1990 BX TGD White
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Cheers guys,

Weirdly enough The Estate was running well today, once I'd coaxed it into life by priming it (never actually had any diesel appear at the bleed screw, but it seemed to help it start).
Never faltered once it was running, so guessing it's old diesel/shit in the tank. One of the mechanics at a garage next door swung in and said 'Oh yeah, get the airline down it back to the tank, pop some diesel cleaner in and I bet you never have a problem again' :lol:

Checked hoses/pipes today and they're pretty wrecked, so looks like I'm changing them. Only bummer is that it looks like the pipes disappear off above the tank #-o

docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

from the rear end of the steel pipes yeah, the rubber ones run through a "hoop" up the side of the tank and across to the pick up.
Utter ballache to feed new ones through if the old ones arent there, but as they are, it aint a problem! Unclip them from the pick up, get some strong wire (like 2.5MM twin and earth style shit), shove that through the sidewall of the old pipe (or drill a small hole to insert it if you must), do the same to the end of the new pipe, then wrap the wire together linking old and new pipe. Then pull the old pipe down the side of the tank whilst pushing the new one down from above. Piss easy. Just remember to cut the bit off the bottom of the new pipe that you have a hole in for the wire!
If you have excess pipe that works too, it means you can shove them on the steel pipes without struggling, then push the steel pipes into place and cut the excess rubber pipe off at the top end where they attach to the pick up.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

regards malcolm
My '89 RD had the pre heater on the manifold - it was a bit of steel tube bolted in place from what I can remember, but it was a long time ago.

Timex has the electric heater, which is fuel tight, but I have my doubts whether it's actually working.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

BX Badit wrote:
Neither have I seen the cigar ones you mention! Seen the ones down low on the back of the block, they often go porous too.

Here is the cigar shaped one, to date I have never been able to light if though.
The earth connection is missing.

Visa 17D 1986 192K Sorn
BX 17RD 1986 220K Scrapped 2013 - Too much rust.
BX 17TZD 1992 192K
306 XRDT 1996 175K
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Blimey, never seen that before!
1990 BX TGD White
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

you can use copper or cupra nickel
Unless you intend to use biodiesel or vegetable oil.
prime as much fuel through as you can be arsed with.
I've found it usually needs more than that :lol:
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Well although I'm clearly going to have to replace the fuel lines as they're rotten pretty badly externally, The Estate has once again proven to be The Estate by fixing itself. Problem has gone.....it now starts, stops etc perfectly once more :lol:

electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Check where the fuel lines take a sharp turn at the back of the rear footwell just in front of the fuel tank - a bit of rubbing and consequent rusting of the fuel pipe happens here.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate