Dodgy fuel guage

BX Tech talk
Mothman

Dodgy fuel guage

Post by Mothman »

Have started to have problems with the fuel guage on the TXD Estate again. However, having seen how easy it was to remove the sender whilst helping Tim drain all the dodgy fuel he bought from a couple of pikeys yesterday i decided to have a go at it. Took it out, drained it off, gave it a damned good shake, put it back and ows ya father it works just fine. Needle on the guage registering correctly, no movement at all. Out and back in in about 3 minutes. Job done.

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Dodgy fuel guage

Post by Tim Leech »

I love cheap easy fixes like that!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

An old BXpert recently told me that the gauge can become clagged up at the bottom and if your gauge is playing around (or in the case of the White One, telling porkies... the missus ran out of weasel last week, fortunately it simply wouldn't start again after she'd stopped so I just had to do a quick mercy dash with 5 gall of the stuff, didn't even need to prime it) you may need to remove and declag it. If just giving it a quick shake is enough, that's even better! And I finally discovered that BX's have a fuel warning light once I'd drained my tank down. The things we learn.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You may find that poking through the hole in the bottom of the sender unit with some aerosol solvent will loosen any sludge that's somehow got in there.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Mine is still on the blink, I took mine out and it was spotless, all the coneections were great with no crud of any kind and nice tight fit but still only displayed when it wanted to so I bought a brand new one from Citroen (£90 ;-() and it is worse than the old one. I bought a second hand dash console but all didn't go to plan trying to get the fuel gauge out to fit in mine :-(. I just rely on the low fuel light now.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

Ah hah. I think maybe that's what the BXpert meant, thinking about it.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I'll have to try that with Timex - the guage works intermittently for the last 1/4 tank or so, getting worse the lower the fuel level. Also the low level light doesn't work, but in my case I'm not certain if that's because the sender's not working or because it doesn't have that facility - IThe bulb is certainly OK, bt there are odd lights such as low coolent that not all Mk1's were fitted for. I'd like to get it working if possible because I found it more accurate than the guage on both my previous BX's.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

Talking on the adjacent thread about Land Rovers, the gauge on mine would occasionally play around. If I stripped it down and cleaned up the contacts it restored it to health. As the BX gauge is a cylinder with all the gubbins sealed inside, is there a way of dismantling it to get at any contacts or whatever?