LHM indicator above max

BX Tech talk
merlyn
BXpert

LHM indicator above max

Post by merlyn »

I've just been to check my LHM and the indicator is right up at the top of the glass bulb. Last time I checked itnwas around the max level. Is this an indicator of a problem and if so what should I do now? Don't get too technical on me, I'm just learning. :?

I now have an MOT (not a cheap one but at least it's done).

Jane
1992 BX 1.6 TXi automatic Bleu Sirene
(now sadly gone)

1999 Xantia 1.8 SX automatic Gris Quartz
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: LHM indicator above max

Post by Way2go »

Don't forget that if you filled it up correctly with the car on "high" then the indicator will show higher than this when the car is set to "normal". Always perform this check on "high". :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
merlyn
BXpert

Post by merlyn »

I checked it on "high" and last time I checked it/topped it up it was on "high". It doesn't go down when I drop to the normal driving level.
(now sadly gone)

Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

I might get shot down in flames for this, but I always assumed a bit too much LHM wasn't really a problem, but that too little was. I've always found that even with a car with no leaks whatsoever it finds a way to shed a bit of LHM and sort itself out. I'm sure there'll be better advice that though Jane and delighted to hear your car now has a years ticket - you know it makes sense! :D
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

merlyn wrote:I checked it on "high" and last time I checked it/topped it up it was on "high". It doesn't go down when I drop to the normal driving level.
No that's the point. it won't go down when you move to "normal" it will try to go up. It could be you've overfilled it but that's not likely to be a problem except for spills.

You'll have to check by dipping your finger in the reservoir when on "normal" and then on "low" (don't rub your finger on the underneath of the filler as it may be sharp!) If the LHM is very close to the filler (or overflows) when on "Low" it is likely that you are just OTT on the level. If the level is not over high, take it back up to "high" and try tapping the float indicator in case it is stuck.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
merlyn
BXpert

Post by merlyn »

Yes, I wasn't really so much worried about it being overfilled as perhaps a blockage somewhere or the indicator stuck. I'll stick my finger in and see what it's doing and tap the indicator while I'm at it.
(now sadly gone)

merlyn
BXpert

Post by merlyn »

merlyn wrote:Yes, I wasn't really so much worried about it being overfilled as perhaps a blockage somewhere or the indicator stuck. I'll stick my finger in and see what it's doing and tap the indicator while I'm at it.

When it stops pissing down!! :(
(now sadly gone)

bx petrol auto saloon
BXpert
My Cars: Citroens SAABs and Vauxhalls

Post by bx petrol auto saloon »

Dear Jane,
Firstly Jane, with regards to your LHM indicator bieng above the maximum " marks ". To check the your LHM level on the top of your LHM tank, you need to start the engine and put the car in high, once the car is in high you can then look at your indicator float inside the see through dome and the dome has two red level lines on it ( an upper one is your MAX, and your lower line is your MIN. ) your float has 2 metal rings around it, a yellow one at the top of your float ( which you basically ignore really ) It is the gold metal coloured one that is the one that you take you reading from, and it is this gold one that needs to be inbetween your 2 red rings on the see through float indicator. :!
Secondly, Jane regarding your LHM being too high, if i remember correctly the tank holds between 3 and 31/2 litres of LHM, I think to get your level perfect, you may only need remove the filters from the top of the tank, just to have to remove about 1/4 of a litre tops. Like has been stated before by someone ( It won,t make any difference really, she will find her own level, naturally in a month or so ) :wink:
Lastly, really very well done on getting all your work sorted out Jane and congratulations on getting your BX through her M.O.T =D>
Vince,,
Passion Hydropneumatic Citroen,s

Cars;- 1993 White Citroen BX 1.6 TXi petrol
saloon auto with air-con & ABS.
47,594 Miles from new.
Owned for 3 years sorned.
1988 Silver SAAB 900i 2.0 8v F/lift,
saloon 5sp with 3 spoke Ronals,
69,000 Miles from new.
Owned for 15 years T & T.
merlyn
BXpert

Post by merlyn »

Thanks for that very detailed account Vince, my indicator does seem to be stuck at the top of the dome though. It hasn't gone down at all over the last 24hrs whether I have the engine warm or cold and regardless of what height I put it at. I've tried tapping it but it doesn't budge. I am off tomorrow so will pop into the garage to see what they say.

It is great to have another years MOT and I have plans for work over the next 12 months to help with next years! :D
(now sadly gone)

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the discs in the level indicator one is yellow plastic and the lower one is copper,
the top yellow/orange one is the indicator and the copper one just connects the contacts below when the fluid level gets below a certain point,

i have never seen a float stuck at the top, even though others on here seem to belive it can happen,

the only time i have seen the float appear to be stuck is if the tank is way over full,
to check the float its self, pull the two wire off of its base, then rotate it by its base about a quarter of a turn, now you can lift the hole float unit out from the top of the tank,
it is such a simple design i dont belive it can get stuck,

dipping your finger in the tank might not prove anything at all, as even with the correct quantity of citro blood,
car on high or its lowest setting the tank might still only be half full,

so you would need very long fingers to reach the citro blood

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
merlyn
BXpert

Post by merlyn »

The indicator (yellow bit) finally came down today after quite a bit of tapping. When I put the car up to full height it raised up again and was sitting just above the "max" as opposed to jammed right up at the top. Don't know why/how it got stuck up there but all ok now.
(now sadly gone)

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I've had them stick at either end of the travel, but a quick tap usually gets them moving.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!