notched belt

BX Tech talk
benben10
Confirmed BX'er

notched belt

Post by benben10 »

Hi guys, ive just been out and topped up the oil and then underneath to wipe up the leaks/drips. while poking around under the bonnet i noticed a notched belt with two notches missing... standing at the front of the car its the belt under right hand side of the intercooler looks like its running a pump?
Has anyone changed this and whats the level of difficulty...

Thanks!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: notched belt

Post by Dollywobbler »

That sounds like the pump belt, in which case you'd better change it pronto. Not too difficult, though getting the new belt on can apparently be a struggle and access will be improved by removing the intercooler. If the belt fails, it's goodbye steering, suspension and brakes.
benben10
Confirmed BX'er

Post by benben10 »

thought it was something important! ... will get a belt and fit ASAP, was just a bit aprehensive about taking things apart then being stranded at work... Not too difficult sounds good.
thanks for your help
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Just loosen the adjuster bolt, which allows you to move the pump closer to the pulley. As I say, I know some people have found that the new belt is a struggle to fit - that's the only problem I can forsee. Bear in mind that the tension needs to be really high or it'll slip - far higher than an alternator belt. Take a long bar to give you some leverage.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

as Ian says but not only loosen the top adjuster 11mm nut and bolt, but also the 14mm pump pivot nut below the pump and towards the battery, and the adjuster arm/bracket 11mm bolt/nut,

fitting the new belt you might nave to move/pivot the pump on its pivot bolt to obtain enough clearance, for the new belt to go between the two pulleys,

also as Ian says it needs to be very tight

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Very important to use a good quality belt and always carry a new spare belt in the boot, you really dont want to be caught out, as the guys above said this runs the hyd pump which powers your suspension, steering and brakes, fairly simple to change the belt just make sure you dont fracture or damage the metal pipe which connects to the flow valve or you will loose all your LHM in seconds.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
benben10
Confirmed BX'er

Post by benben10 »

thanks for the warnings/advice, i will take plenty of time this weekend, the thought of breaking a pipe is making me nervous! Will also carry a spare as a 'just in case' then if it goes again get the RAC guy to fit it.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the way to make sure not to brake the main pump feed pipe, is just slacken the 12mm flair/pipe nut that goes into the bottom engine side of the pump,

dont forget to nip it back up after you have fitted the belt

regards malcolm

ps.
were are you located
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
benben10
Confirmed BX'er

Post by benben10 »

Thanks, i will print all this info off before i start. Im in central Leicester (Midlands) with permit parking, no garage/driveway so have to do all repairs at work in the car park.
Its not too bad as i have keys to the building so have access to a kettle!
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Certainly not a job to be scared of - my wife managed it in a motorway services just after we got the grey one!
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
benben10
Confirmed BX'er

Post by benben10 »

wow! thats put me to shame lol