New metal, thickness?

BX Tech talk
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: New metal, thickness?

Post by Tinkley »

My point is that actually you can have light modern cars - just use composites. Stronger/stiffer and with the ability to put in structural deformation ie crumple on impact. I would not mind 'jumping' to say a fuel cell powered carbon/glass structured vehicle at all. Personally I'm not convinced by the heavy battery carrying 'Hybrids' as they are a halfway house. Would quite like to try the Cyclone 5 steam powered engine in a composite car, I could even make my own wood pellets!

Agree on visibility being good on a BX. You don't notice it much till you drive something else like a C4 or are a passenger when the pillars and positioning create much larger blind spots. My old Chrysler (later Talbot) Sunbeam was very good for visibility, much like a shorter BX.

Another little gripe is the boot width - 1.25m plywood - straight into a BX. Try that on a few modern ones especially VW group cars. Guess its the same roof strength problem. But a good tubular or specially formed tube structure could take the load quite easily as could a hollow composite tube.

Thanks for the imput on steels, like other materials the alloys and heat treating make very significant changes to the tensile strength etc of the material. Note that molybdenum steel m/cycle frames have a life of 3-4 years.... Classic 'E' modulus fall off after so many cycles.

Of course if the MOT tester found steel in the body of the new McLaren in the rear sub frame area...!
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

If you're going to weld galvanized, don't forget to grind (or better, use a flap wheel so as not to thin the edge too much) all the galvanizing off the bit you're actually welding. Treat with a weld-through coating before welding.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

michaelr wrote:The thread was supposed to be about steel thicknesses however!
True, but we're not all that good at staying on topic here! To my mind it doesn't really matter once the original question is answered - the thread can drift off at a tangent like a conversation in the pub would...

One of the downsides to higher strength alloy steels is that corrosion protection becomes even more important - once rust starts it obviously takes less time to eat through a thinner/lighter section. And what about the fatigue life of aluminium cars like top end Audis? Aluminium alloys have significantly poorer fatigue strength than steels.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

XM trailing arms? The BX got ductile cast iron but the XM to save weight got ...... aluminium.
Suzuki used AL on a lot of early GSX750's in the 80's, don't know how they fared. AL is fine on body non structural panels, hell my old mans Rover 90 had AL panels in 1959!. Copied by Citroen on C4 and C5 but as much to do with pedestrian crush zones as saving weight. Pesky Euro NCAP ratings.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

mat_fenwick wrote: Aluminium alloys have significantly poorer fatigue strength than steels.
But when structured correctly, are much more flexible. Just look at an air craft wing, they spend there entire life bending up and down, and don't tend crack/fatigue/fall off. There have been high power alloy cars on the road for over 10 years without too much of a problem.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Vanny wrote:Just look at an air craft wing, they spend there entire life bending up and down, and don't tend crack/fatigue/fall off.
But when they do... :shock:

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all - I was just thinking it would be interesting to know whether fatigue is a realistic consideration in the lifespan of an aluminium bodied car. I'm talking 30-40 years down the line - is it likely to be an equally big problem as rust would be on a steel bodied car?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Vanny wrote:Just look at an air craft wing, they spend there entire life bending up and down, and don't tend crack/fatigue/fall off.
Not strictly true is it? A number of aircraft have been taken out of service due to cracks developing.

I remember being marooned in Edinburgh for a day years ago when BA grounded the entire Trident Fleet for checks as fatigue cracks had been detected in their wings. Although they subsequently patched this it didn't last very long before the whole Trident Fleet was scrapped, not sold to a 3rd world country, such was the likely severity of the problem.

Concorde also suffered quite large cracks in all it's wings and probably many other aircraft types did too.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Way2go wrote: Not strictly true is it?
I'm not sure what you think is 'not strictly true'. Perhaps you don't like the use of the word tend? It's not a great word, having different interpretations, but statistically of all the ally flying machines that have ever been in the air, have fallen out of it due to a metal defect? I cant imagine it's many! (actually i hope to hell its not many, i do a lot of flying)

I suspect on an all ally car there will be problems with repairs making the car brittle in places, and a lot of problems with galvanic corrosion. And ally will still oxidise in salt, and at a fair old rate when it gets going. I guess that's part of why they paint planes so often.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Vanny wrote:
Way2go wrote: Not strictly true is it?
I'm not sure what you think is 'not strictly true'. Perhaps you don't like the use of the word tend? It's not a great word, having different interpretations, but statistically of all the ally flying machines that have ever been in the air, have fallen out of it due to a metal defect? I cant imagine it's many! (actually i hope to hell its not many, i do a lot of flying)
No problem with the word "tend" but I gave you actual cases of Trident and Concorde that were grounded as a fleet due to wing fatigue initiating cracks that were serious enough that there were fears that they (& their passengers) could come to grief in flight.

So two conditions were not true but the wings actually falling off have not been reported. However, they would not have been expensively repaired before being allowed to resume flight if that was not a possible prognosis.

Aluminium is used because it is light and apart from getting off the ground obviously allows a larger payload than a heavier infrastructure. Dreamliner has gone lighter still with a higher proportion of plastics etc - I wonder how that will fare for stresses after it gets millions of miles into its service?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

When I worked for BAe Aviation Services we used to have to modify the wing roots of A300's as they were prone to cracking round the mounting bolts. They apparently modified the design for the A320 series, only to leave them prone to spar cracks.

Concorde's biggest problem was cracking at the base of the tail fin. They had a prototype at Filton that they ended salvaging the fittings from in order to keep the BA fleet flying a little longer.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!