XUD cylinder head bolt question

BX Tech talk
citsncycles
Over 2k

XUD cylinder head bolt question

Post by citsncycles »

As some may have read elsewhere (big entry in blog to follow) I'm in the middle of changing the cylinder head on Timex. As part of this I've bought a set of new bolts from Citroen, who have supplied a set for a Berlingo, plus some additional washers.
Reading the Haynes book of lies, there's 2 different methods of fitting the bolts depending on bolt type, but I'm guessing this predates what Citroen are supplying. Any idea what the specs are for the engine when fitted to a Berlingo?
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
assembled
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX TZD Turbo
1989 Citroen BX GTi 4x4

Re: XUD cylinder head bolt question

Post by assembled »

I have another question regarding XUD head bolts...

I am rebuilding a XUD7TE 1.8TD AJZ motor in my TZD Turbo. These are my head bolts:
Are these reusable? All of them are 121 mm long now. If not reusable, what is recommended?
There are 0204 66 bolts without washer (must be similar to ones in picture) and 0204 97 with attached washer. Multiple manufacturers are supplying both.
1992 TZD Turbo berline, aircon, ABS
1991 TZD Turbo berline
1989 GTi 4x4 berline, ABS
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I can't remeber the specs exactly, but I do remember reading somewhere that there's a maximum allowable bolt length where they need replacing. Past experience with reusing bolts on a Skoda has taught me to change them if there's any doubt. Citroen supply bolts similar to those in the pictures but with attached washers, plus additional washers that make them suitable for the earlier engine. I ended up torquing them up to the instructions in the Haynes book for Xantia diesels (which were different again to the 2 methods I found for BX heads), as this was the most up to date info I could find, and it seems to have been fine.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You're correct in that there is a maximum length spec, but I can't recall what it is! I've re-used before with no issues long term, but prefer to replace for peace of mind. As they're stretch bolts, so long as whatever procedure you follow takes them into the plastic region, the actual clamping force will be the same, so I'd think there'll be a fair amount of leeway in how they're tightened - certainly more than with non-stretch bolts.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
assembled
Confirmed BX'er
1989 Citroen BX GTi 4x4

Post by assembled »

Thank you for your feedback.

I have found in a Peugeot manual that they can be reused if shorter than 122 mm.

By the way, Citroen does not mention need for replacement, but necessary, a newer bolt with a washer is recommended as mentioned before. Initially different bolts were used for different engines (ones for turbo, other for N/A), but same replacement suggested for all. Maybe it is somehow superior.
1991 TZD Turbo berline
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

The early XUD bolt torquing sequence was quite complicated from what I remember, with you having to run the engine to temp at one stage, and I think even backing off and retightening at some point. They also needed re torquing after a few hundred miles, something the later engines didn't need. The method I used had you tightening to a torque setting then angle tightening them, after which no further action was required.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Kaapelimies
BXpert

Post by Kaapelimies »

The old hexagon bolts needed to be retightened after warming up the engine, these new torx-bolts don't need that.
BX 4x4 estate, several BX Van's and some more normal estates in Finland.
assembled
Confirmed BX'er
1989 Citroen BX GTi 4x4

Post by assembled »

Yes, these are plastic deformation bolts. Older ones that need retightening were not, I suppose.

Thanks.
1991 TZD Turbo berline