rear hydraulic pipe failure - where next?

BX Tech talk
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Re: rear hydraulic pipe failure - where next?

Post by tim »

On the ram type all I can offer is the following. Both the rams off the scrappy were as you described, two single holes for drain-off, As the gaiter can be rotated though nearly 90 degrees aligning with one of these holes wasn't a problem. However - the one on the White One which blew out had a single hole, and a groove machined all round. Apart from this, it looked identical in every respect and I was told that some Xantia components were different; so therefore this must a BX manufacturing variant - ?
See my previous comment about alloy welding. Doing it should be easy and cheap, but if the bore is distorted in the process it would require careful returning to circular - would honing be accurate enough?
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the gaiter can if you had the need to could be rotated 360 degrees, and the spouts do not need to be in line with one hole or the other,

i do not know regarding honing i will let you know once its been tried and tested,

i think as long as the piston can move freely it will work, as all the pressure sealing id done right up at one end,
so usually well away from were the corrosion takes place

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I was interested to see the point that you needed Xantia estate cylinders to fit the BX estate - I did wonder as I knew BX hatch and estate units were different but wasn't sure about the Xant.

As for reclaiming old units, if ally welding alone wouldn't do the job, what about reaming and sleeving? It's fairly common practice with brake cylinders, where replacements are either unobtainable or very expensive.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i would not worry about the state of the bore unduly, at least till i have seen a cylinder that has been welded,

as i keep saying as long as the piston will slide freely up and down the bore, im 99% sure the sealing end will not be affected,

only one way to find out,

im also fairly sure as long as you place a scrap piston into the cylinder whilst it is being welded, it should be fine,

the cylinder body is quite thick and the weld should not need to penetrate the entire wall thickness,

and any pin holes left in the inner face will not cause any problems,

also i said

" it has to be hatch for hatch and estate for estate as far as im aware, "

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)