Question for those early diesel owners - oil breather pipes!

BX Tech talk
citsncycles
Over 2k

Question for those early diesel owners - oil breather pipes!

Post by citsncycles »

Before I started pulling Timex to bits, I had 2 pipes from the oil filler on the front of the engine, 1 to the cam cover and 1 to that big plastic inlet box on top of the engine. I also had an unused point on the air filter housing. Now I have the early head and parts going back on, I have 2 points on the cam cover, 1 direct to the casting and the other on the filler, as well as the point on the air filter.

How should this lot be connected up?
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Question for those early diesel owners - oil breather pi

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi Mike

My DTR is locked away so probably cant view it for a few days, happy to take a look at the weekend?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

That'd be great, thanks Tim.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Well my guess was wrong (connecting between the filler / dipstick housing and rocker cover) - it seems to be spraying a small amount of oil past the dipstick, but other than that running well
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Do you want me to do a piccy of Gloria's engine bay for you Mike?

Andy
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Done some anyway Mike, hope this helps.

Andy

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

OK, so so mine's definately wrong, but not absolutely sure where those are going.

At a guess, does the pipe on the filler cap end up at the air filter, while the pipe from the other end of the cam cover ends up at the dipstick holder?
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Hi Mike,

the pipe from the oil filler cap goes to the left side of the dipstick holder as you face the engine and the cam cover end one goes to the right side of the dipstick.

Andy
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I suspect I may need to change another part - I'll have to check, but I have 2 outlets on the dipstick holder, roughly in line, but one at the top and another at the bottom. I may have them switched round, so will try that, but the fact that it's a later holder with the oil filler cap on may have something to do with it...

So where does the pipe on the back of the air filter go?
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

The pipe from the back of the round airfilter box goes to the top of the dipstick holder, right behind the dipstick.
I think you may need a Mk 1 dipstick holder.

Andy
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I think you're right - I seem to be missing an input on it! I may try to sort out some type of t piece if I can't get hold of one quickly, so that the 2 pipes from the cam cover both go to the lower part of the dipstick holder. I'm using stock hose lengths so it'll never look as neat as yours anyway.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD