Ignition switch w/o key barrel

BX Tech talk
Tinkley
1K Away

Ignition switch w/o key barrel

Post by Tinkley »

Hi, Hope I might ta psome expertise here. My old Athena after trashing suffered the key being snapped in the barrel (coutesy of Liphook Coachworks). I used it fine for 5 years...
Anyway when they brought the car back from its insurance assessment the key was a one time hit. Turn it off and you can never turn it on again. I have duly smashed the assembly apart after removal from steering column barrel.I can get the motor turning over but not started. Am I missing a necessary circuit?

All fuses OK, engine turns, petrol primed (I think) interior lights OK, dashboard ones OK. To turn the starter I turn the plastic rectangular piece (originally at the end of the key barrel) backwards after rotating clockwise. Is there an ignition circuit not being completed? or a ground on it?

Might be I've just got to keep going.. Just thought it worth asking. She has not run for nearly 4 years! However she has been turned over on a battery a couple of times a year.

It just seems a bit too dead, even with a bit of carb cleaner in the carb barrel no spluttering that you would normally get if it just needed some extra encouragement. Thanks for reading.
bx_pallas
Confirmed BX'er

Re: Ignition switch w/o key barrel

Post by bx_pallas »

Hi,
ckeck the connectors of the ignition switch. you need +12v at the #4 pin of the white connector of the ignition switch to get (and keep) the engine running!
see my posting here:

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 9&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Thanks for that info. I have replaced an ignition switch before without any problem after it was hammered to pieces by yobbos trying to steal the 14RE. The Valeo replacement worked pretty much first hit. It was down the road at the first corner I discovered they'd bent the steering column shroud as well.....
What I hadn't anticipated, was the repair guys at the coachworks who of course just wanted rid of it. To them it was irrelevant what the wiring did as long as it ran. They knew it would not restart and even put a taped sticker on the steering whell to that effect. So I will check the wiring right through to the relays. Its them that have changed it I'm sure, so not a factory fault in any way.

Some work for the little Tamiya tester, thanks.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Does it, or has it ever had a crappy 90's 'alarm/immobiliser' that screw up after the first heavy rain? If so i would be pointing a large finger in that direction
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Fortunately it has never had a 'crappy' alarm system fitted. Both the Athenas were standard I would say. Only a few detail differences like floor mats, one plastic, one steel bonnet and slightly different radiator grill.
Had to raid one for the radiator fan, thermostat and fuse to get a working cooling system....battery too.

I'm actually impressed the brakes had not seized. Last time we had a serious go at getting it running - trying to bump it down the road was 2 years ago. Yes the handbrake was left on, its too hilly round here though really I should of used chocks. Lost count of bods asking 'Do you want to get rid of the old car mate?'
They usually claim there are loads of BX in the localbreakers which is somewhat different to my personal experience!.

Charging battery from 'runner' as I flattened it yesterday so hopefully life may be resumed. Might even be easier to get the 'unobtainable' panels (according to the coachworks) still available and fix the crunched one leaving engine in situ.