Ball joint Clutch release bearing No Longer Available Valeo

BX Tech talk
Tinkley
1K Away

Ball joint Clutch release bearing No Longer Available Valeo

Post by Tinkley »

After my fun and games sourcing a clutch kit for my 1.6 Athena (TRS), it has become apparent that clutch kits containing a release bearing for the ball and fork type BE3 gearbox are no longer available from Valeo.
This will affect all 1.6 and some 1.4 and possibly 1.9 models if they have the early type. It would appear that there is no problem with the later about late 91/early 92 cross shaft type clip on release bearing.
Be warned, unless you can find another source of these earlier type bearing it could become a problem

BTW the later Valeo kit is compatible with the earlier type ball/fork release bearing.
nab
My Cars: Citroen BX GTI 8V
Citroen cx TRS
Karmann Ghia 1968

Re: Ball joint Clutch release bearing No Longer Available Va

Post by nab »

I bought a Borg and Beck clutch for my Bx 8 valve off Ebay at a bargain price but the bearing was the wrong type that has clips on .
I have just bought the correct type bearing with with a hook on one end from my local Citroen dealer .
They had to order it in for the next day so they are available.
I still got a bargain, even after paying about £25 for a bearing from Citroen I still have a quality clutch kit for no more than the cheap Chinese rubbish listed on Ebay.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Interesting to know the dealers still have some stock. I got a Valeo one, it arrived yesterday, from Neat but it was their last. Yes its the wider, folded steel type with one side double folded. I will definitely bank one of these at some time in the near future, as the later clutch type is useable with this bearing at least in Valeos case.

Probably the first time I've felt, hey this cars getting difficult to keep on the road maybe I should get a more modern... These are critical not cosmetic parts.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Charlie had one on his 1990 1.9 and it always gave problems. Unless you are a stickler for authenticity I'd be tempted to change it for the td/valver type along with the clutch cable
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

BX Bandit wrote:Charlie had one on his 1990 1.9 and it always gave problems. Unless you are a stickler for authenticity I'd be tempted to change it for the td/valver type along with the clutch cable
Thats exactly what I am gonna do to my GTi. The clutch is v stiff and not smooth and as my TD clutches always seems to have a lighter touch I think the conversion will be worthwhile. It gets round the thrust bearing issue too.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I've reassembled the gearbox with the ball type release fork. The BE3 gearbox does have the two white nylon 'plug' for the cross rail tube so with that, and a new type release fork it could be converted. Meantime I still have a LUK 215mm clutch to get rid off, courtesy of LUK technical.
I'm keeping the old Valeo one as it is still OK, strange how the 'new' one is so different but similar ie the outer part rotates - its really a fitment from the old Visa and early BX I suppose. Of course I have the later type bearing it came with the kit but I could not see how to remount it to the flange type carrier without destroying it, otherwise I would have done that.