Overactive ABS

BX Tech talk
ruari

Overactive ABS

Post by ruari »

Often when I brake, as I approach a standstill I feel a little twitch in the brake pedal as if the ABS has kicked in just for a single pulse. It's not so far caused a problem and the ABS light isn't flagging anything up, but I just wondered if there's such a thing as an overactive ABS, if it's a regular issue and if there's a straightforward solution? I've not so far had to brake hard on a poor surface so I'm not sure quite how well the system works at the best of times.. might have to do a little test at some point!
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Overactive ABS

Post by Way2go »

I would imagine that your problem is more likely to something like a high spot or warp on your disc(s) that you are feeling through the hydraulics rather than the ABS.

AFAIK the ABS light only sequences as a test when the ignition is switched on and does not illuminate when the ABS operates - and why would it, you don't want the instrument panel attracting your attention away while you are trying to see/steer around an obstacle.

The BX also does not give a pronounced ratchety feedback to the brake pedal like on a Ford when it is operating, it is a much softer pedal effect.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

On my car the ABS on mine has always been 'overactive' as you put it, it will often start hammering if your breaking when going onto or off of a long flat speed bump at low speed. In fact its not unusual for it to trigger in that 10 to 20mph region where ABS is a bit useless. I don't know if this is normal behaviour or not, but it's the reason i have an isolator fitted to knock the ABS OFF when on track!
bx_pallas
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bx_pallas »

I had the exact same problem. A bad sensor cable (the moving part in the wheel arch) confused the ABS, and caused the rattling. When it occured while braking I suddenly had to press the pedal harder because only one of the front brakes was actually braking at this moment(!!). After replacing the faulty sensor, the symptom was gone.

Test the sensors one by one by connecting them to a simple headphone (or to the radio aux) while driving. Sensors with a good cable make a clean tone, bad sensors make cracks and interruptions at bumps or at certain steering angles...

In the meantime, I highly recommend pulling the ABS Fuse F14 (1st from right). This disables the ABS completely (yellow light will stay on all the time) and you can rely on a safe 4-wheel-braking and no more dangerous ABS-overactivity.
ruari

Post by ruari »

Very interesting, thanks for that. I'll have a play with the sensors. I'm tempted just to do without the ABS entirely really, I think I trust my own footwork more than a 21 year old bit of gadgetry :)
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

ruari wrote:I'm tempted just to do without the ABS entirely really, I think I trust my own footwork more than a 21 year old bit of gadgetry :)
I've done this for the last 3 years and although it should be a problem at MOT time in reality it never has (bulb disconnected).
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

That's the worry. Rules are tightening up on ABS and the MOT, but at the end of the day, it's down to your tester.

Personally, I think ABS is well worth having on a BX due to the power of the braking system. Yes, I can cadence brake with the best of them (and it saved my skin when I almost smashed the Mk1 estate into a van once) but ABS has genuine benefits.

I don't get any ABS-kicking-in vibes on mine, unless there really is a traction issue.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Dollywobbler wrote: Personally, I think ABS is well worth having on a BX due to the power of the braking system. Yes, I can cadence brake with the best of them (and it saved my skin when I almost smashed the Mk1 estate into a van once) but ABS has genuine benefits.
I agree, it was one of the most significant technical motoring advances of the 20th century - being able to brake and steer simultaneously! Also when used in an emergency it does seem to shorten the stopping distance as road friction is maintained. Personally it would always be on my feature list when choosing a car. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Always handy if you get caught unawares, you then don't have to rely on too much skill which by the time you realise you need, its too late as you slam into something because the car has skidded & you cant change the direction of where you're heading. Any ABS is a blessing imho, i don't have it fitted to the TXD & i have locked up a few times in greasy conditions & its not a nice feeling :(
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I love ABS so much that I retro fitted it to my Hurricane. I am sure it has saved me quite a few prangs.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Friend of mine had a similar issue on a Rover 416 a few years ago, it was a cracked reluctor ring on one drive shaft in the end.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....