drop link

BX Tech talk
citronut
Over 2k

Re: drop link

Post by citronut »

KevR wrote:
BX Bandit wrote:I also think OE ones have more travel in the lower ball joint of the drop links but that could be my warped mind!
I noticed the same last time I changed one.
what the warped mind bit :shock: :twisted: :lol: :wink:
BX Bandit wrote: Be very careful if you're only changing one - like Mat I've come across ones that are shorter than standard. Took me ages to work out why the car was constantly steering to the right and wearing tyres even though the tracking was right....
un/equal anti roll bar cant cause the wheel track to be out

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

citronut wrote: un/equal anti roll bar cant cause the wheel track to be out
No, but it can make you think it is! Pulled so badly to the right and scrubbed the outside edge of the front right tyre so bad that I assumed I'd bent a track rod or something.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I had not intended replacing the drop links but on replacing everything, one of them will not do up at the top. Just can't seem to get enough 'grip' on the flat. It undid OK but will it reverse, like hell. Oh well a new pair and out with the hacksaw.....or angle grinder.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Can you tighten it onto the taper with a plain nut, then once seated replace with a nylock?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

It's the top of the droplink that's the problem not the lower taper. It must be undone 10-12mm you can see clean thread below the nut to the ball joint. Will that nut shift - no way in either direction. I was using a pair of adjustables, one on the two flat sides above and the other on the 16mm flats nut. Unles of course its a left hand thread, but their is no designation to that effect ie groove in centre of flats. Now when I came to undo it, it moved OK if a little stiff, probably crud all round the thread but I left penetrating oil on it overnight and still no joy.
I could split the nut ie angle grind it off. Thread type? 10X1.25? It's not 10X 1.5 (ISO coarse std) and its not fine enough for 10X1.0. Good chance it has been changed in past at 157k. The links are shot on my other Athena at 117k, never got round to it before crunch No2, but these ones are OK no rattle at all.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Mole grips are handy for this sort of thing but it sounds like its seized up proper. Grind away!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

try jacking the arm up to put weight onto the top swivel joint, it might just push it home tight enough to wind the nut on

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

BX Bandit wrote: Be very careful if you're only changing one - like Mat I've come across ones that are shorter than standard. Took me ages to work out why the car was constantly steering to the right and wearing tyres even though the tracking was right....
That's interesting, the tzd i've just put back on the road has been pulling to the left for a couple of years now. Because i've got so many bxs and my other half drives this one i can't think whether it coincided with any suspension parts being replaced.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1992 tzd estate, slowly being raided for parts
1992 txd estate, "doom blue" on the road
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Resorted to angle grinding off both drop links. Fitted a pair of 'First Line' brand ones from Euro 20 quid each. They are about 5-6mm shorter than the others which were about 1.5 - 2.0mm different to each other.
We shall see. I would rather have the matched pair. My experience of front tyre wear is dead even and most wear on outer and inner shoulders compared to center. If not like this the tracking is out.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

grinder, good job easiest way to get em off, worth checking lower ball joints as well these can also knock when worn.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Interestingly I think there may be different length droplinks for different models. The new, about 6-7mm shorter ones seem to make the front quite a bit stiffer. The car even looks a little lower at the front. I suspect there is a difference between the 'normal' ones and ones for the GTI and 16V'er. The car steers fine absolutely spot on no wobble or noises and tracks perfectly. Just at low speed over speed bumps and erm the wonderful surfaces we have to traverse it eems unforgiving.
I am aware that the shorter link will put more load on the anti roll bar and so stiffen it up. Either that or the spheres need regassing/replacing. Fronts have done about 40k - Amteks from GSF and are 4 years old. It is not that unusual to fully bottom the car (both ends at worst) on some of the local potholes especially in the wet even at sub 30mph speeds. Any thoughts?
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

The problem with spheres is age not mileage. You may of only had them four years but how long we're they on the shelf for?
Also what size spheres do you have? The lower pressure 400cc types will reach an uncomfortable ride sooner than the 500cc spheres.
Best of going to Pleaideies IMO.

Also, despite the drop links being a tad shorter, it won't make any difference to ride height, or any difference at all so long as both sides are the same length. There aren't different drop links for different models afaik.
1990 BX TGD White
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

BX Bandit wrote: Also, despite the drop links being a tad shorter, it won't make any difference to ride height, or any difference at all so long as both sides are the same length.
i think if the drop links are a different length to what were on the car, this will affect the ride height, as it will in fact rotate the anti roll bar to a different angle to were it had been, so in turn affect the height corrector,

an easy check for the cars ride height is with it set to normal and with engine running, look at the line the drive shafts are at,

as they should be sitting level to the center of the hub,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Hmmm, I need to shut up then, I forgot about the h/c being connected to the arb. I'll stick to drinking cider - it's what I do best
1990 BX TGD White
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I changed the drop links as a matched pair (it made sense after some comments on this thread) so that it would be even and a 'known'. To get the ride height adjuster to give the correct angle on the drive shafts, I assume it is adjustable as per Haynes etc?
It's definitely stiffer since the drop link change and more like a coil spring car at the front. Whilst I am aware of the slight drop in performance of the spheres (Planned to be changed/regassed next year) this trait is quite easily felt plus the visual of the car sitting lower at the front. Quite a sort of lean meaningful pose but not normal for a 16TGS!.
Thanks for the input Malcolm. I reckon these drop links are 7mm shorter. All nice and quiet at the front though it was not actually knocking before!. Now I worry about other noises, probably without reason.
She's running OK at the moment not leaking any fluids and low 40's upwards on fuel. Not bad for an engine not run for 4 years just sat outside. I confess the plugs have not even been removed! Straight through emmissions 0.16% Co - better than 09 C4!!!.