paint code

BX Tech talk
citronut
Over 2k

paint code

Post by citronut »

does anyone know what the extra letters mean in my TZD paint code refer to its is

EJX which seems to be Rouge furio

mine has an M after the above followed by a badly stamped digit or letter which looks like a B, R, or an 8 ,

also was it ever decided what the grey is around all the side windows

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
electrokid
1K Away

Re: paint code

Post by electrokid »

EJX covers a range of colours IIRC yours is very similar to mine (which is a shade of Venetian Red) Furio Red is a bit darker than Venetian Red but still covered by the EJX paint code. You are lucky to have the extra numbers / letters - that's a "shade variation" and if you get a paint supplier to make up paint to your full code it should be an exact match.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

citronut wrote: also was it ever decided what the grey is around all the side windows
Looking the other day, you suggested (at some point in the past) EXX.

Been spraying it tonight. I'm using it to paint under body parts, thought id try the EXX to see if it was right for the windows and i think EXX is maybe a little too light, its not as light as the estate colour, but not as dark as what little paint is still on my car. Will report back further once its fully dry .

The paint shop man thought it should be Onyx Black in satin finish, but i think that might be a little too dark?

Oh, and the two red valvers i've had have both been EJX with a shade of 'cs'. The paint shop make me up 'EJX' and for the most part it is a near exact match for the rest of the car, which is handy.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Paint is a pig to match sometimes. As most places weigh the quantity or 'X' squirts of this base and that, you will get some variation. Don't worry even the factories have problems and they must be buying very large batches where variation is easier to control.
Personal experience of paint mixing to match commercial colours is get the closest you can from a swatch/codes etc then tweak it a bit to match. At least you have the base colours as known tints and if you have a good paint mixing guy and a sample you should get pretty close. BTW always check in good daylight, or colour corrected lighting and not direct sunlight. Do not expect it to match under different electric lighting as it almost certainly won't, unless you are incredibly lucky. A good reason to never mix under tungsten, CFL, halogen etc. I much prefer daylight.
Some of the pigments will have changed over the years due to toxin legislation and availability. Note how the water based new paints are smaller in range. Different paint manufactureres will give some variation of colour under artificial light.
Fortunately I have quite good colour sight and a reasonable feel for mixing. I think metallics are harder than plain colours as they also rely on the clear lacquer to get reflection. When I mix gelcoat colours I find very very small hints of colour make a big difference to getting a match. Its sometimes surprising to find out the colour make up of some shades.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

electrokid wrote:EJX covers a range of colours IIRC yours is very similar to mine (which is a shade of Venetian Red) Furio Red is a bit darker than Venetian Red but still covered by the EJX paint code. You are lucky to have the extra numbers / letters - that's a "shade variation" and if you get a paint supplier to make up paint to your full code it should be an exact match.
Brian
EJX can not cover a range of colours, and all the goooogly search's i did came back as "Rouge furio" ,

i do know any letters/digits following the EJX will be for the variants of Rouge furio as i used to work in and around car body/paint shops,

i could not remeber if some of the code could be for the window frame colour

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

According to very recent experience with a very helpful (for a change) chap at citroen, the smaller letters in the paint code are irrelevent. They are batch codes (not shade codes) and are just there for reference. There is NO way to actually identify and mix to that code as there are no records of what the variation in the batches were. It's just QC.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

there always used to be variant codes atatched to paint codes back in the 80ties, these were used to atempt the get the variant correct,

an example is Rouge Geranium, there were about 5 to 6 different shades from an orangy red to a full red red,

i belive how this comes about is every time they run one batch out, the new batch gets mixed fractionally out

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I used an off the shelf Satin black rattle can to repaint my tailgate lip spoiler on my TGD + door frame which happened to be a perfect match.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
BX4X4X2
Confirmed BX'er

Post by BX4X4X2 »

Hi, I think they simply changed the name venetian to furio red on later cars. I sure I read somewhere that the characters following the main code represent the type of car estate/hatch etc. (but - you`d think you`d be able to tell by looking at it!)
Normally are local supplier will mix an aerosol from just the code and year.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

On the window paint code, this EXX that i've been spraying, now that its dry, looks to be a rather good match for the existing window paint on my car. Personally i'm going to use it on the windows when i get chance.

If i can get the car into some natural sun light (probably means taking it out of coventry) i'll try to get some comparative pictures.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Vanny wrote: Personally i'm going to use it on the windows when i get chance..
That could play havock with your outward visabillity! :D
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.