Octopus on Tizzy D

BX Tech talk
Brian
BXpert

Octopus on Tizzy D

Post by Brian »

Hi Folks,

Looking for some help here.

After recently fixing three LHM leaks, I am now faced with what looks like an octopus problem.
I have roughly located the leak, but at the moment cannot view the top of the rubber manifold to establish which of the 3 circuits is causing the problem.

I am looking for any clues, hints on how to find the leak so that I may be able to replace the faulty circuit only, As it looks like the complete octopus is not readily available.

I have removed the bolts from the stabilizer bar, but still can't get a small mirror over the top to give a view.

I am guessing it may require to remove the driveshaft, the front exhaust, to allow the engine to tilt forward and remove the stabilizer link and somehow drop the subframe a little.

Visa 17D 1986 192K Sorn
BX 17RD 1986 220K Scrapped 2013 - Too much rust.
BX 17TZD 1992 192K
306 XRDT 1996 175K
Mothman

Re: Octopus on Tizzy D

Post by Mothman »

A complete new octopus is still available from main stealers.
Just need to quote the part numbers. I have them if you need them.

Andy
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

No, you don't need to remove driveshaft or remove subframe. Can I refer you to the current octopus discussion on the Chat section, you will guess what my suggestion would be!
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Mothman Wrote:
A complete new octopus is still available from main stealers.
Just need to quote the part numbers. I have them if you need them.

Yes please, will give me an indicator, Thanks.

Thanks Tim for the Chat section discussion link.

I have seen this article before, using brass fittings and rubber tube, brilliant write up.

There was also another thread showing fitting the manifold and pipes over the wing, but I can't find it.

Interesting and valuable thread this, hope we get some more input, if so would be worth saving as a sticky.

I had thought of doing this to the small octopus in the picture below, but in the end did a quick fix as shown and is holding up well.

I think the repair / replacement will be a more complex on the TD, due to the additional pipes etc.

I guess I am lucky really, I have been running Bx's for over 20 years now and never had to replace an octopus.

Visa 17D 1986 192K Sorn
BX 17TZD 1992 192K
306 XRDT 1996 175K
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

These are the Citroen part nos for a complete octopus set.

Andy
Oilyspanner
BXpert

Post by Oilyspanner »

TOP TIP there are two plastic pipes running down the chassis member under the drivers footwell area, they are different sizes, they both push into the ctopus on top of the crossmember in a totally inacessible place, cut them at an easily accessible point and once the old octopus is off plug the cut off bits into the new octopus, fit the new octopus and join the pipes where you cut them using some of your leftover rubber pipe, this will save a lot of time. especially as its easy to put the pipes in the wrong hole and get a leak.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Purchased the octopus today, made in Poland.
The finish does not look as good as the original, although the dealer insisted it was OEM quality.

Thanks for the "Top Tip" will use if I go original layout.

I am swaying towards fixing the manifold on the bulk head as Tim has posted, but being a turbo 92 vintage, may be quite a challenge routing around the inter-cooler, pipes and diesel filter etc.

Any one know if it's possible to replace the octopus without draining the LHM tank?

Cheers
Visa 17D 1986 192K Sorn
BX 17TZD 1992 192K
306 XRDT 1996 175K
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Not surprised the new Octopus is Polish - Eastern Europe, particularly Poland, seems to be the favorite location for the manufacture of both older Citroen models and their parts these days.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

This is another reason why I wanted the octopus where I could see it. It may well be that as others have said the 'original' octopussies lasted 15 years. But these are not those.... and others have posted that they had issues a lot quicker than that. I have already had experience of substandard rubber goods; some years ago I fitted some fork gaiters to a Triumph m/c for a customer. The gaiters were about a fiver and looked to be the same as the 'originals' which last for ever, pretty much. These bastards lasted six months then shredded themselves into little bits. It wasn't the cost of the gaiters that I resented, it was the morning's labour to replace them. This is when I learnt about different grades of rubber.....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I've had similar experiences with rubber components made for Land Rovers - it's a lottery whether they're made of anything decent. Of course it was a different matter with the Wartburg, where you tried to buy pattern parts for all rubber components because the East German rubber was so bad...

There was a thread a few weeks back about exhausts, where it was said that some of the factory replacement exhausts would be made to a lower quality as the model got older - it may be the same for other parts too!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!