rear rams - breather pipe connections?

BX Tech talk
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

rear rams - breather pipe connections?

Post by tim »

Bit of advice needed. The White One has been fine since the repipe and replacement s/h rams, but last week a puddle occurred under the rear r.h. one. With the help of Adnams' finest brew I reasoned that the gaiter was getting fluid into it, there was a small split in the rubber and it was therefore puddling inside before building up enough to leak out, and that cable ties on the gaiter weren't actually sealing it to the ram and fluid was also getting out that way.
So - bought some new gaiters, and a new clip. I have just fitted the gaiter et al, and noticed that the clear plastic pipe had become detached from somewhere up above the subframe. The other side's one was just floating nearby and obviously hadn't been plugged into anything for ages. So what gives here? The clear pipe is presumably intended to channel fluid but where to? If it isn't plugged into something it will simply continue to drip. I've linked the two together for now with a short length of pipe. But I thought all the pipes ran along the passenger side and there aren't any for returning fluid. The height corrector also has a bleedoff clear pipe but once again the subframe is in the way so I can't see if there is a T-piece or something. Anyone got a diagram, thoughts etc? I presume that the ram seals passing fluid is not a big issue as the pipe is presumably intended for just this purpose? Anyway, they'll have to do for now, I just need to 'close' the system so we don't get any more puddles.
citronut
Over 2k

Re: rear rams - breather pipe connections?

Post by citronut »

firstly if to much citro blood is entering the gaiter this means the pressure seals are allowing to much fluid past, as the gaiter is only ment to catch very slight seepage and nothing more,

one of the plastic pipes is a vent that sits in through a hole in the rear sub frame, the other dose indeed go to a three way union then on to the front of the car

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)